• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil vs Criminal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hurley007

Rochester Mn A woman who used to work for me won't give my car back she has had authorization to pick up car at mechanic ect. She was pulled over in it with fake tags I told police it's my car and I want it back they said it's a civil case and parked my car at her apartment ..Then I got a call from California Dmv saying this woman had presented paper work saying I have giving her the car she had a signed statement with my forged signature , she was trying to put title in her name . I called police and had them meet me at her apartment and told them she had forged my signature they said sorry it's a civil case. Then I find out the police removed fake plates from my car in front of her apartment ..I am at a loss for words I mean doesn't that make it criminal ..Thanks.

quincy

Rochester Mn A woman who used to work for me won't give my car back she has had authorization to pick up car at mechanic ect. She was pulled over in it with fake tags I told police it's my car and I want it back they said it's a civil case and parked my car at her apartment ..Then I got a call from California Dmv saying this woman had presented paper work saying I have giving her the car she had a signed statement with my forged signature , she was trying to put title in her name . I called police and had them meet me at her apartment and told them she had forged my signature they said sorry it's a civil case. Then I find out the police removed fake plates from my car in front of her apartment ..I am at a loss for words I mean doesn't that make it criminal ..Thanks.
Which state is involved here? Minnesota or California?

quincy

You have me confused. You wrote down your location as California.

Both you and the woman live in Minnesota and this is where your car is located, where it was registered (but without title transfer), where the woman was authorized by you to pick the car up from the mechanics, where the woman tried to transfer the title through the California DMV, where the police pulled the woman over for fake tags, and where the police confiscated the fake plates from the car that is currently parked at the woman's apartment?

Over what period of time did all of this occur?

Forging documents and driving with fake plates would be criminal acts. I do not know to what civil action the police were referring.

TigerD

I do not know to what civil action the police were referring.
The ownership and possession of the car are the civil questions. He gave her permission to possess the car. The questions are: has she exceeded the scope of that permission and is she refusing to turn the property back over.

OP is going to need a lawyer.

TD

tranquility

For a case that describes the factors of exceeding the scope (although the case has the twist of being about if the insurance covers the vehicle) for MN:

Christensen v. Milbank Ins. Co., 658 NW 2d 580 (2003)

Hurley007

You have me confused. You wrote down your location as California.

Both you and the woman live in Minnesota and this is where your car is located, where it was registered (but without title transfer), where the woman was authorized by you to pick the car up from the mechanics, where the woman tried to transfer the title through the California DMV, where the police pulled the woman over for fake tags, and where the police confiscated the fake plates from the car that is currently parked at the woman's apartment?

Over what period of time did all of this occur?

Forging documents and driving with fake plates would be criminal acts. I do not know to what civil action the police were referring.
Car is registered in Mn I live in California the police in Rochester Mn took the plates at her apartment it's been a year she has had the car

quincy

So ... you live in California but your car is for some reason in Minnesota and it has been in Minnesota for a year - with a California title and Minnesota registration - sitting plate-less in a woman's parking lot.

I have no idea what is going on with your car.

I think it best if you follow TigerD's advice. You should sit down with an attorney (in California or Minnesota) and lay out for this attorney the sequence of events that led to the woman in Minnesota having possession of your car.

Good luck.

Hurley007

The ownership and possession of the car are the civil questions. He gave her permission to possess the car. The questions are: has she exceeded the scope of that permission and is she refusing to turn the property back over.

TD
Yes she is rufusing ...I understand the civil part cause she had access to the key. My concern is she has committed crimes with the car fake tags fake plates ...The Sargent is going to call me today any advice what to say to him

quincy

Yes she is rufusing ...I understand the civil part cause she had access to the key. My concern is she has committed crimes with the car fake tags fake plates ...The Sargent is going to call me today any advice what to say to him
I have no idea what you should say to the Sergeant.

Did you report your car as stolen? If so, when? You say the car has been in the woman's possession for a year.

Are you being charged with a crime? If so, say nothing to the Sergeant, find yourself a lawyer, and refer all police questions to your lawyer.

Good luck.

LdiJ

Since you are not fully explaining the sequence of events that lead up to the current situation, you really cannot get any help here.

Hurley007

Info

My wife got cancer and I move church Rochester Minnesota to mayo clinic for a liver transplant the girl above that I'm talking about was one who worked for me as a CNA house cleaner an errand runner after my wife's death she help me with the sale of my home and help me put things in storage Ect .. She had access to the car so I understand that part being civil cents in the past she has taken the car I had to go to California on business well I was there she had called me and told me that she's not giving back the car I said it's my car I have the title registration and everything is in my name and she still wouldn't return it then she Was caught driving it with fake tags on it instead of the police and pounding it they just drove it to her apartment and parked it there as I was in California I also got a call from the DMV

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

TD
I agree with what TigerD said - there's really not much else that can be done. You can't FORCE the police to treat this as a criminal matter - particularly since you're 2/3 of the way across the country.

Hurley007

More info

Saying that she wanted to put the title in her name and had a faults signature from me that stated I had given her the car once I receive this call I flew back out to Minnesota to retrieve my car I went to her apartment the car was not there as I did I called the Rochester Minnesota police I figured they would help me more since she had fake tags also forging my signature they said still it's a civil case so I flew back to California empty-handed once again and then I was told by Friend that the police are going to apartment because there was fake plates that she had on the car and what they did was just take them off they didn't do anything else just took him off so my question is doesn't that make it criminal because now there's 23 crimes on that car from her and they know the situation why didn't they impounded

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Saying that she wanted to put the title in her name and had a faults signature from me that stated I had given her the car once I receive this call I flew back out to Minnesota to retrieve my car I went to her apartment the car was not there as I did I called the Rochester Minnesota police I figured they would help me more since she had fake tags also forging my signature they said still it's a civil case so I flew back to California empty-handed once again and then I was told by Friend that the police are going to apartment because there was fake plates that she had on the car and what they did was just take them off they didn't do anything else just took him off so my question is doesn't that make it criminal because now there's 23 crimes on that car from her and they know the situation why didn't they impounded
You cannot force the police to treat this as a criminal matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">