• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming a 20 year old child with income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew128

She is mad that we want to claim her because then she won't get a refund.
Neither of your opinions mattera. This is black and white law, and YOU are perfectly entitled to claim her. Even if you DON'T, she isn't likely entitled to claim herself. The test isn't whether you DO, it's whether you CAN, and has been since before she was born.

kb1179

Also I offered the solution of us giving her the difference between what she would get back if we didn't claim her and what she will get back when we do. I would need to know her income and withholding amounts to calculate it but she refuses to give us that info. Any suggestions?

kb1179

Thank you. I agree. She told my husband she got a refund of $409 for 2012 when we didn't claim her and that's how much she wants. I contend that what refund she got last year plays absolutely no part in this year's filing and numbers.

LdiJ

Thank you. I agree. She told my husband she got a refund of $409 for 2012 when we didn't claim her and that's how much she wants. I contend that what refund she got last year plays absolutely no part in this year's filing and numbers.
You are right...it doesn't.

ecmst12

The language on the tax form says you can claim yourself if no one else CAN claim you as a dependent. That means she can't legally claim herself regardless of what you do because she has not provided more than 50% of her own support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">