• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

closing gone awry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lkc15507

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I entered a contract for sale of a home I own during the last week of January, 03. $500.00 earnest money was given by the buyer. Closing was set for 02/28/03, a full 5 weeks. The buyer owns her home, but could not qualiy for another mortgage without first selling / contracting to sell her home. Her father, the "spokesman" in these dealings verbally guaranteed buying the daugher's home, allowing her to qualify for mine. They had no representing agent. This whole scenario made me nervous from the beginning, but, I accepted the offer with the above projected closing date.

Attempting to shorten this story, they did not close on 02/28/03. My agent had been assuring me all along that things "look good". On 02/27/03, believing closing would occur by 03/07/03, I met with my agent to sign an extension to the contract. She proposed 03/28/03. I said no to 03/28/03, but did extend to 03/14/03 simply for the fact I did not want to lose any more time by putting the house back on the market. Four days later, my airhead agent during an update, tells me the buyer sent her info to the mortgage company over the weekend. Mind you, that was the weekend immediately following the proposed closing date, yet I had already committed to a two week extension. That info should have been sent 5 weeks earlier. I knew immediately they would not make closing again. They didn't. They have played me for time (successfully) to unload the dauther's house without Daddy actually having to fork out the money. Yet, as of today, closing was not met per the contract.

1.) If I decide to cut off my nose to spite my face, am I entitled to keep the earnest money?

2.) If I propose that they pay me additional monies to cover my expenses for the month past proposed closing (utilities, taxes, mortgage interest), can this be done with an addendum to the existing contract, or if I choose to void the contract by not extending the closing date will we / I have to start all over?

Souix

lkc15507 said:

I entered a contract for sale of a home I own during the last week of January, 03. $500.00 earnest money was given by the buyer. Closing was set for 02/28/03, a full 5 weeks. The buyer owns her home, but could not qualiy for another mortgage without first selling / contracting to sell her home. Her father, the "spokesman" in these dealings verbally guaranteed buying the daugher's home, allowing her to qualify for mine. They had no representing agent. This whole scenario made me nervous from the beginning, but, I accepted the offer with the above projected closing date.

Attempting to shorten this story, they did not close on 02/28/03. My agent had been assuring me all along that things "look good". On 02/27/03, believing closing would occur by 03/07/03, I met with my agent to sign an extension to the contract. She proposed 03/28/03. I said no to 03/28/03, but did extend to 03/14/03 simply for the fact I did not want to lose any more time by putting the house back on the market. Four days later, my airhead agent during an update, tells me the buyer sent her info to the mortgage company over the weekend. Mind you, that was the weekend immediately following the proposed closing date, yet I had already committed to a two week extension. That info should have been sent 5 weeks earlier. I knew immediately they would not make closing again. They didn't. They have played me for time (successfully) to unload the dauther's house without Daddy actually having to fork out the money. Yet, as of today, closing was not met per the contract.

1.) If I decide to cut off my nose to spite my face, am I entitled to keep the earnest money?

2.) If I propose that they pay me additional monies to cover my expenses for the month past proposed closing (utilities, taxes, mortgage interest), can this be done with an addendum to the existing contract, or if I choose to void the contract by not extending the closing date will we / I have to start all over?

I could write a book in response to this, but I think I'll wait for an attorney to respond.:)

Souix

lkc15507 said:

I could write a book in response to this, but I think I'll wait for an attorney to respond.:)

lkc15507

Top 10 reasons Home Guru is such a sad *******:

He doesn’t know how to read a book.
He doesn’t have a book to read.
He’s been judged by his cover--
His cover is: I Am Always Licking (butt)--
He was found to be lacking, not licking (a penis that is)
No wait, he was found to be terminally stupid
That’s why he can’t read a book
No wait, he doesn’t have a book to read
He needs a book to read
Butt, anyway, IAAL told him, “I can’t respond right now Homie, I’m reading a book.”

Souix

lkc15507 said:

**My Answer: Is your agent representing both you and your buyer? There should have been a written contract between Dad and Daughter. You should have demanded that they have a written agreement before you accepted the offer. Has this been done yet? Was this contingency in the earnest money agreement? Was there any language in the earnest money agreement to protect you or allowing you to leave your home on the market while your buyer sold her house?

Attempting to shorten this story, they did not close on 02/28/03. My agent had been assuring me all along that things "look good". On 02/27/03, believing closing would occur by 03/07/03, I met with my agent to sign an extension to the contract.

**My Answer: If you were supposed to close on 2/28/03 why would you expect it to close on 3/7/03? I'm confused.

She proposed 03/28/03. I said no to 03/28/03, but did extend to 03/14/03 simply for the fact I did not want to lose any more time by putting the house back on the market. Four days later, my airhead agent during an update, tells me the buyer sent her info to the mortgage company over the weekend.

**My Answer: What did the buyer send to the mortgage company? At this point has the Dad and Daughter entered into a written agreement yet or has your buyer sold her house?

Mind you, that was the weekend immediately following the proposed closing date, yet I had already committed to a two week extension. That info should have been sent 5 weeks earlier. I knew immediately they would not make closing again. They didn't. They have played me for time (successfully) to unload the dauther's house without Daddy actually having to fork out the money. Yet, as of today, closing was not met per the contract.

My Answer: That would depend on what is written in your earnest money agreement. Are there any contingencies? etc.

2.) If I propose that they pay me additional monies to cover my expenses for the month past proposed closing (utilities, taxes, mortgage interest), can this be done with an addendum to the existing contract,

**My Answer: Yes, but the buyer would have to agree to this

or if I choose to void the contract by not extending the closing date will we / I have to start all over?

**My Answer: Yes

I hope that wasn't too long or confusing. :)

HomeGuru

Susie Baby, please do not respond to users that fail to follow user instructions.
Some writers abuse this website and the writer of this thread is a clear example.
Some writers act nice to get a response and when they cannot get their own way or do not get an answer that they want to hear, show their true colors and turn evil. Look at this thread as an example. What makes these kinds of people turn?
Once they turn, refuse to help them. Good prevails over evil on this website. Please help by continuing our fight against crime.

HomeGuru

CAPTURED POST SENT TO WEBSITE ADMINISTRATOR.

lkc15507 said:
Top 10 reasons Home Guru is such a sad *******:

He doesn’t know how to read a book.
He doesn’t have a book to read.
He’s been judged by his cover--
His cover is: I Am Always Licking (butt)--
He was found to be lacking, not licking (a penis that is)
No wait, he was found to be terminally stupid
That’s why he can’t read a book
No wait, he doesn’t have a book to read
He needs a book to read
Butt, anyway, IAAL told him, “I can’t respond right now Homie, I’m reading a book.”

Souix

HomeGuru said:
Susie Baby, please do not respond to users that fail to follow user instructions.
Some writers abuse this website and the writer of this thread is a clear example.
Some writers act nice to get a response and when they cannot get their own way or do not get an answer that they want to hear, show their true colors and turn evil. Look at this thread as an example. What makes these kinds of people turn?
Once they turn, refuse to help them. Good prevails over evil on this website. Please help by continuing our fight against crime.

ok gotcha:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">