• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clothes on visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? GA
My husband has custody of my step-son. On the 26th, he goes with his mom for visitation for a week and 2 days. SHE PAYS US NO SUPPORT. Are we REQUIRED to sent him with clothes in the state of GA? I know some states REQUIRE the custodial parent to supply the clothes on visitation. There is nothing said like this on the court order.. This normally would not be a problem, but his mom has not returned his clothes and belongings MANY times after visitation. It puts us in a situation because she lives 300 miles away. :mad:

StepMomInGA said:
My husband has custody of my step-son. On the 26th, he goes with his mom for visitation for a week and 2 days. SHE PAYS US NO SUPPORT. Are we REQUIRED to sent him with clothes in the state of GA? I know some states REQUIRE the custodial parent to supply the clothes on visitation. There is nothing said like this on the court order.. This normally would not be a problem, but his mom has not returned his clothes and belongings MANY times after visitation. It puts us in a situation because she lives 300 miles away. :mad:

Don't send you step-son without a suitcase....................come on lady!!!!!!

BL

Are them cloths the real expensive kind ?

Lol . My GF's son had a grandmother that actually went to school. and started something. The teach called home about the cloths the kid wore. quot " All the rest of the parents buy their children's cloths from ( some expensive store name ) ", and he feels out of place.

My answer. If you all wouldn't bring up the subject,he wouldn't have felt out of place. From now on the Grandma isn't allowed information at school or access.

God , send some " Clean" second hand or play cloths on the visit. You want to give your kid a complex ?

Last edited:

Gracie3787

StepMomInGA said:

Many years ago I had the same problem with my oldest son's father. I solved it by buying one weeks worth of clothes, and a used suitcase. When his Dad came to get him, I gave the suitcase to Dad and informed him that 1. not to send suitcase and clothes back, and 2. from then on the suitcase/and clothes were "Greg's visiting Dad clothes" and that Dad was responsible for keeping suitcase updated with clothes.
At first it did't work, but when I sent our son with only the clothes on his back for 2 visits in a row, his Dad finally realized that I was serious- and the best part is that I knew that I had provided my son with visiting clothes as I was supposed to.

Anyway, maybe this kind of solution may work for you.
Good luck.

Gracie3787 said:
Many years ago I had the same problem with my oldest son's father. I solved it by buying one weeks worth of clothes, and a used suitcase. When his Dad came to get him, I gave the suitcase to Dad and informed him that 1. not to send suitcase and clothes back, and 2. from then on the suitcase/and clothes were "Greg's visiting Dad clothes" and that Dad was responsible for keeping suitcase updated with clothes.
At first it did't work, but when I sent our son with only the clothes on his back for 2 visits in a row, his Dad finally realized that I was serious- and the best part is that I knew that I had provided my son with visiting clothes as I was supposed to.

Anyway, maybe this kind of solution may work for you.
Good luck.
That sounds like a pretty good idea! Thanks!!
To the other posters, we're not trying to be mean about not sending him with clothes. It just hard when we do not get any money from the woman. We ask her nicely to help out and buy him some school clothes and she always refuses. And when we send him with clothes for visitation, they don't get returned. When the mom had custody, we told her not to pack his clothes, that we had some for visitation. We did that because we did not want have to hear her complain if something went missing.

My husband got custody a little over a year ago. The woman should have pleanty of clothes and such for the boy to wear when he is with her....

VeronicaGia said:
Is she court ordered to pay support? If not, why isn't your husband filing for child support?

No court order for support. He has just turned in the paperwork to CSE to get support. Hopefully something will come out of that very soon.. At the time of the custody change, the mom was supposedly unemployed. She still states that she is, but has re-married since the signing. We THOUGHT she would be liberal with helping out with the child like we were to her, but that has not been the case.

VeronicaGia

StepMomInGA said:
No court order for support. He has just turned in the paperwork to CSE to get support. Hopefully something will come out of that very soon.. At the time of the custody change, the mom was supposedly unemployed. She still states that she is, but has re-married since the signing. We THOUGHT she would be liberal with helping out with the child like we were to her, but that has not been the case.
She can claim unemployment all she wants. He can ask the court to impute her wages based on what she could be making if she was working 40 hours a week at minimum wage, or if she recently held a job, he can ask the court to impute wages to her based on what she was making when she was working.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course, it's unlikely that clothes from a year ago will fit him. That said, I send my kids with what they're wearing and a couple of things to keep busy with on the plane. That's it. Then there's no arguing about what's left, Dad doesn't have to be bothered with sending things back and I don't have to bitch.

VeronicaGia said:
She can claim unemployment all she wants. He can ask the court to impute her wages based on what she could be making if she was working 40 hours a week at minimum wage, or if she recently held a job, he can ask the court to impute wages to her based on what she was making when she was working.

Would that work even though he is going through the GA CSE office? We can't afford paying for a lawyer again to do all of this work for us. We paid 5k last year for the custody case.

We think that she is working under the table and unless we get a PI, that won't help much..

stealth2 said:
Of course, it's unlikely that clothes from a year ago will fit him. That said, I send my kids with what they're wearing and a couple of things to keep busy with on the plane. That's it. Then there's no arguing about what's left, Dad doesn't have to be bothered with sending things back and I don't have to bitch.

More than likely, that is what we will do, just send him with the clothes he is wearing. He can wear a good portion of the clothes we got him for Christmas last year, so she should have some stuff for him to wear from when he lived with her. If she doesn't, then I guess she'll be forced into buying some for him. I'm sure she'll be pissed because she'll actually have to spend some of HER money on him! Oh well. My Christmas wish is that she'll stop being such a deadbeat mom and take an interest in her boy.

kcs00

If it is not in the decree than you dont have to do anything, but why cause yourself the headache. We had a similiar problem with BM not sending clothes with children, we talked to an attorney and he told us not to say anything just document everytine the kids came without clothes and he could file for custody becuase that is a form of PAS. So just send the clothes so you dont find yourself back in court over silly things.

Just my 2 cents

Lils

I have to put my two cents in here, because my boyfriend is a NCP and his CP ex is playing this game.

Please, think of your children. Send clothes!!!!!!! This is not about getting back at your ex, etc., etc. I understand you are angry and bitter because the clothes do not get returned, but do not make your child suffer for your ex's irresponsible behavior.

Be the better person!!!! ;o)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">