• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Club liability question re: alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davekub

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but I figured I'd start here. I'm a member/organizer for a couple of local clubs (as in 'organizations', not 'bars') and a liability question has come up involving alcohol.

The two clubs are both web-based via the Meetup website, a site that lets you create your own club. One is an outdoor & social club and the other is a food, beverage, and games club. Both clubs have varied events, some of which involve the consumption of alcohol.

A concern has come up regarding what is the club's (or organizer's) liability if something were to happen after/during one of these events. Say, if someone leaves the event and gets stopped for dui or worse, causes an accident and hurts/kills someone?

The types of club events that involve alcohol include things like:

• a party at a member's private residence.
  • a 'club social' where we get together at a local 'watering hole' to munch wings, drink a beer, play pool, and generally socialize.
  • go to a winery for a tasting.
  • attend a wine or beer festival
What types of things can the club and/or organizers be held liable for? What are the limits of liability? How can the liability be reduced?

In case it matters, neither club charges a membership fee to join or to participate in anything. The only time there are fees are if we go somewhere that charges, such as the admission to a wine festival. But the club itself never charges/collects the money. The way the clubs work is that an organizer posts an event to a calendar and then the members rsvp 'yes', 'no', or 'maybe' that they'll attend. It's very loosely organized.

Thanks!

DaveWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

You are extremely liable. I am in the member of several wine appreciation societies and you betcha we have liability insurance that we recoup out of our member dues.

You should also be concerned as to whether you are violating Virginia liquor laws. Even BYO type venues require a license.

davekub

Can you give any statutes/ordinances/etc dealing with the liability issue(s)? I'm looking for someplace to get specifics.

Thanks!

Dav

davekub

There is no 'club insurance company'. This is not a 'formal' club with a charter, officers, etc. It amounts to a 'bunch of friends'. Let me see if I can describe it better...

The website www dot meetup dot com is a site that lets you create your own web-based club/group for just about any topic you want. There are pet-related groups, political groups, religous groups, social groups, etc. The Meetup site gives you tools like a message board and calendar for posting events to. I'm part of two of these groups/clubs.

An organizer (of which there are several in each club) posts an event to the calendar. Members can then decide if they want to attend or not. It allows a group of people to get together for a common event.

So far, we've had no problems but as the number of members keeps growing, the topic of liability has come up, especially with the events that involve the consumption of alcohol. Which led to me posting here to at least try to get an idea of what kind of liability there is/isn't.

Dave

BigMistakeFl

Guessing only, but I think liability for the group of friends would only be an issue when one of you is hosting in your home. If you are having wings and beer in a restaurant or bar, it's their problem.

This is the same as me hosting a Superbowl party and someone overimbibed and caused injury on the way home. In such a case, my insurance could be the target of civil action.

HomeGuru

There is no 'club insurance company'. This is not a 'formal' club with a charter, officers, etc. It amounts to a 'bunch of friends'. Let me see if I can describe it better...

The website www dot meetup dot com is a site that lets you create your own web-based club/group for just about any topic you want. There are pet-related groups, political groups, religous groups, social groups, etc. The Meetup site gives you tools like a message board and calendar for posting events to. I'm part of two of these groups/clubs.

An organizer (of which there are several in each club) posts an event to the calendar. Members can then decide if they want to attend or not. It allows a group of people to get together for a common event.

So far, we've had no problems but as the number of members keeps growing, the topic of liability has come up, especially with the events that involve the consumption of alcohol. Which led to me posting here to at least try to get an idea of what kind of liability there is/isn't.

Dave
**A: you would still need insurance therefore my post stands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">