• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-worker stealing big time...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MonarchX

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My mother works at a bakery and her co-worker steals lots of food in such big loads that co-worker makes her son drive the car and load it up with goods! Its an up-scale place and such stealing brings a considerable loss.

The owner suspects something and suspects my mother because she works in the same section as that co-worker.

What should be done? Not only that but co-workers son has been in jail for multiple assaults and batteries and if his mother (stealing co-worker) gets in any kind of trouble at work then my mother could get blame and who knows...he may come over our house and shoot everybody.

Should my mother just look for another job?

Side question - are people allowed a certain amount of break time? Do they have to sign in and out during those breaks? My mother doesn't even get lunch time...

justalayman

last question first:

it appears there is no law requiring either a break or a lunch period in South Carolina.

as to the other problem; maybe your mother might suggest the boss place a hidden camera in the area and record the action. The boss would need to be careful to follow the laws regarding recording such action though.

She could say something that she is not doing it and is not willing to name a specific person as the culprit but that if she did "this" or "this" she would be able to catch the thief in the act.

CraigFL

Your mother is party to the crime if she allows it to happen and doesn't say anything. Maybe the owner suspects the other woman but feels your mother MUST know something because she was there-- but she isn't talking which makes her look guilty too. If she doesn't do something quickly, she may be named as the person who watched while that car was loaded up with stolen items.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">