• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COBRA termination request denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenn08

State of California.

I have Kaiser COBRA coverage. In December I notified member services that I wanted to terminate coverage retroactively in December due to being double covered. I got a response saying I had to pay premiums for Dec because I had to notify the month before to terminate coverage. I paid December's premium and reiterated request to terminate coverage.

I then got Jan's premium with a huge increase ($283 to $397) instead of a certificate of creditable coverage. I called member services none too happy that they didn't terminate my coverage AND sent me a much larger bill.

Member services said I notified the wrong office, so I'm on the hook for the month of Jan.
The service representative said that the only way I could terminate coverage was to have it canceled retroactively due to nonpayment of premiums. My 18 months is up at the end of Jan. too, so it will all be over then. I haven't used the Kaiser plan at all since getting the other insurance, so it's a big waste of money, and a bigger one since the huge increase.

What are the ramifcations of writing a letter refusing the rate increase and telling them AGAIN to terminate coverage? As much as I hate to be ripped off, I don't want to jeopardize my credit rating and get hounded forever.

As a compromise, I would pay a prorated amount up to the date of the letter, but only if I get a letter absolving me of the full premium and get the evidence if coverage right away.

what are the consequences of simply refusing to pay the final month?

Thanks!What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

Don't pay and your coverage will be terminated retroactive to the last day you paid for. Which is what you want. They can't cancel the coverage AND ding your credit/try to collect for a month that they did not cover you for.

You're out of luck for december though. And never try to terminate any type of contract verbally - ALWAYS do it in writing, via certified/trackable mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">