• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COLA Increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanine

What is the name of your state? NY

How do I know if the cost of living has increased? I have checked out the website http://www.bls.gov/cpi/ which releases the consumer price index numbers but it's so confusing. They say it increased 2 percent in December but what is the total number? And is that for everything including food, clothing, fuel? Or is that for one item?

How do you figure out how much overall it increased or decreased? I found some chart that showed the last time it went above 10 percent was in 1980 but I find that a bit hard to believe so clearly I'm reading it wrong?!

ceara19

How do I know if the cost of living has increased? I have checked out the website http://www.bls.gov/cpi/ which releases the consumer price index numbers but it's so confusing. They say it increased 2 percent in December but what is the total number? And is that for everything including food, clothing, fuel? Or is that for one item?

How do you figure out how much overall it increased or decreased? I found some chart that showed the last time it went above 10 percent was in 1980 but I find that a bit hard to believe so clearly I'm reading it wrong?!
The last time the COL rose more the 10% over the span of ONE YEAR was in the 80's. But what does this have to do with child custody and visitation?

nextwife

How do I know if the cost of living has increased?
While it IS true that cost of living has increased, many INCOMES have been stagnant (mine included). A CS INCREASE will depend on whether the parental INCOMES have also increased.

jeanine

I don't think that's the case in NY. They say the COLA has to go up 10 percent or more and that it's based on the Consumer Price Index. It doesn't say anything about incomes for this particular part of the order. Support order was a stipulation of settlement incorporated into the judgement of divorce so she can't modify for an increase unless she can show serious change in circumstances. However, the child support collection unit will review every 2 years to see if a COLA increase is in order.

jeanine

Why, b/c I come on here to find information to benefit my husband? Again, this site is called free advice. Not free advice for the CP and NCP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">