• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

'College degree required' discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

torimac

I understand that I can't really use it to force someone to hire me. It's the same argument I use with a friend of mine regarding Affirmative Action: do you really want to work for someone whose sole reason for hiring you is that the color of your skin or your gender fills a requirement for their company?

But, I was discussing this with the recruiter and needed to have the legal information to back me up. If my resume does not change the company's mind, then I am pretty sure I don't want to work for that company. There may not be many jobs out there, but there are some and I will simply keep looking.

eerelations

Even if you did still want to work for this company, please understand they may not be breaking the law by requiring incumbents to have a college degree. What cbg describes applies to only very limited circumstances and nothing you've posted indicates those circumstances apply to you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't think the circumstances are quite as narrow as all that. While I don't think they necessarily apply, I don't think we can completely rule them out either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">