• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colo rules for young ages in common law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Well, boys and girls, this is the fun news out of my home state today. Thought you might be interested because it's new. And weird.

The article is here, may be time-sensitive:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9375892/detail.html

Here's a snippet:
"A 15-year-old girl can enter into a valid common-law marriage in Colorado, and the minimum age could be as young as 12 for girls and 14 for boys, the state Court of Appeals ruled Thursday.

The court stopped short of setting a minimum age but said under English common law, which Colorado recognizes, common-law marriages could be legal at 12 and 14.

For traditional ceremonial marriage, Colorado law sets the minimum age at 18, or at 16 with parental consent or a judge's approval. The ruling said the law specifically does not invalidate common-law marriages."

To learn more about the case, No. 04CA740, go to the state courts Web site
http://www.courts.state.co.us/coa/caseann/coacas06.htm

No.: 04CA0740 In re the Marriage of J.M.H. and Willis Rouse, and Concerning Weld County Department of Human Services

ETA: from another local news channel:
Colorado is one of 10 states, plus the District of Columbia, that recognize common-law marriage, which is based on English law dating back hundreds of years.

For traditional ceremonial marriage, Colorado law sets the minimum age at 18, or 16 with parental or judicial approval.

Last edited:

ceara19

That is definately creepy, but if a 12 year old girl is living with a 14 year old boyfriend long enough for the relationship to qualify as a "common law" marriage, there are much bigger problems that would need to be addressed. Like where in the hell are these kids parents and why are they letting little kids shack up?

Silverplum

Not surprisingly....

"State Senator Betty Boyd (D-Lakewood) filed a bill Friday to modify the common law marriage to meet Colorado's marriage law.

Under current Colorado marriage law, a 16 or 17 year old in the state needs consent from both parents, or the parent having legal custody, a guardian, or judicial approval in order to marry.

The new bill would prohibit teenagers under 16 from entering into common law marriage."

http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=deb53424-0abe-421a-01c1-e73e81d48f59&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf
(time-sensitive link to full article -- I just copied the smallest pertinent bit.)

fairisfair

ceara19 said:
That is definately creepy, but if a 12 year old girl is living with a 14 year old boyfriend long enough for the relationship to qualify as a "common law" marriage, there are much bigger problems that would need to be addressed. Like where in the hell are these kids parents and why are they letting little kids shack up?
I was thinking more of the creepy Joseph City type stuff myself. Let's remember the man in the news article is 38. :(

Last edited:

Silverplum

Hey, RMet, at least the lawmakers acted right away to change it ~ once they realized the old English common law still stood! If Colorado *was* a Dufus State, we would've got out the beer and started messin' with the youngins! (ew! and ew!)

I cannot take full responsibility for my state, though it is a truly fabulous place. No, we are not allowing any new residents right now. Take a number. :D

ceara19

Silverplum said:
Hey, RMet, at least the lawmakers acted right away to change it ~ once they realized the old English common law still stood! If Colorado *was* a Dufus State, we would've got out the beer and started messin' with the youngins! (ew! and ew!)

I cannot take full responsibility for my state, though it is a truly fabulous place. No, we are not allowing any new residents right now. Take a number. :D
How long is that waiting list?

Silverplum

ceara19 said:
How long is that waiting list?
Depends upon who wants in! For you? No wait at all. Hurry up and improve our state! :)

For illegals? Forever. For pig-people? 185 years. For IAAL? No waiting. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">