• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law Wife?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCiancia

What is the name of your state? Florida

I live with my friend in Northern Florida since June 2005. We are not married or engaged, and I have a seperate room. My ex is trying to stop Lifetime alimony based on this. What legal right does he have to do this, given I am not married. ?

Thanks
Ron

Silverplum

I live with my friend in Northern Florida since June 2005. We are not married or engaged, and I have a seperate room. My ex is trying to stop Lifetime alimony based on this. What legal right does he have to do this, given I am not married. ?
Thanks Ron
You'd need to post, word-for-word, exactly what your decree says on the topic of alimony.

Bali Hai

Thanks
Ron
He has every legal right to take this matter before the court and ask that his alimony obligation to you be terminated because you are shacking up tantamount to marriage on his dime.

If you want to play house, do it on your own or your "friends" money.

fairisfair

Just curious, were you legally married to your ex?? could you be legally married to your "friend" in the state of FL?

RCiancia

Bali Hi

I am not playing house !!!

My divorce decree says Husband will pay Lifetime Alimony without modification as long as wife is not married or deceased.

fairisfair

your husband still has the right to petition the court to see your relationship as a marriage. That is his right. It doesn't mean that the court will see it that way, or even address the issue. Personally, I agree with Bali, if the separate bedroom thing is just an act then your husband is being treated unfairly by you

Silverplum

your husband still has the right to petition the court to see your relationship as a marriage. That is his right. It doesn't mean that the court will see it that way, or even address the issue. Personally, I agree with Bali, if the separate bedroom thing is just an act then your husband is being treated unfairly by you
Let's see...
I don't believe her, Bali doesn't believe her...maybe a judge will? Maybe a judge won't. ;)

RCiancia

Let me give more detail. I rent this house I live in from my childhood friend. Our agreement is that he has his own section of the house seperate from mine(Bed/Bath) and we share kitchen. I pay rent and food for meand my daughter . There is no hanky panky here, trust me, he is gay

Thanks the fast version

Bali Hai

Swampland. Bridge. Something, please...:rolleyes:

Sounds pretty solid.
I hope you are being facetious.

Fla. passed a cohabitation statute not too long ago for these alimony milkers. It pissed all the feminists off too.:)

This would be a good case to try it out on.

fairisfair

I hope you are being facetious.

Fla. passed a cohabitation statute not too long ago for these alimony milkers. It pissed all the feminists off too.:)

This would be a good case to try it out on.
Oh more of that milking thing huh? Actually, I believe that silver agrees with you, but the "exact wording" the poster was asked to provide does sound kind of cut and dried. Let's hope not. Cool chicks are mostly opposed to alimony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">