• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Paid Relo - Can I quit within a month?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meyer5165

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I have been relocated for my company from WI to MN. My company paid for most, and I want them to pay for all of it. I did not sign anything saying that I would work for a certain period and/or pay them back when I took the job/relocation. Is there a certain time period of which I have to work for them before I quit even though nothing is signed? If I quit within a month of them moving me, can they come after or do anything to me or my family financially or legally?

Last edited:

JETX

"Is there a certain time period of which I have to work for them before I quit even though nothing is signed?"
*** No. There is not a statutory requirement for reimbursing the employer.

"If I quit within a month of them moving me, can they come after or do anything to me or my family?"
*** As long as you did not commit (verbally or in writing) to a specific term, etc. (which would be somewhat unusual), there isn't a requirement to repay. However, you should pretty much count on the fact that this employer will likely be upset (depending on the amount) and may ask you to pay it. Further, you should pretty much consider this an employer that you do NOT want future employers contacting for a reference.

Beth3

"Is there a certain time period of which I have to work for them before I quit even though nothing is signed?" Unless you signed some sort of agreement that obligated you to repay the monies if you quit, then no. If your company has a handbook or policy manual, I suggest you look in there to see if there is a relocation policy and if so, what it says before you assume that you "didn't sign anything."

"If I quit within a month of them moving me, can they come after or do anything to me or my family?" Like send a hit man to your home? Obviously your employer won't be too happy but I think you can assume that no bodily harm will take place. At the very most, they could sue you for repayment of the tuition monies IF there is some sort of written agreement obligating you to repay the money and of course they're free to express their disappointment in your hasty departure following an expensive relocation should they be contacted for a reference on you at a future date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">