• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company won't pay for 1.5 hours of my time given to company!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I'm sure there isn't much I can do about this issue, but I figured I'd ask the Internets. :)

Everyone in my department is on call on a rotational basis. I was the lucky one this weekend to be on call. How it goes is someone would call our Help Desk and if they could not resolve it, they would call us. We would either fix it over the phone or sometimes we would have to drive into the office to fix it.

This weekend, I had to drive in. I live about 45 minutes away. The fix only took 30 minutes. In the past, I would have been paid for a total of 2 hours for something like this. But, we've had some management changes recently and they say they can't pay us for drive times anymore.

We obviously have a problem with this. Many of us live at least 45-60 minutes away from the office. Also, many calls are quick and fairly easy. There have been times where it only took 5-10 minutes to fix an issue. Also, there have been times where we drive in, fix the problem, drive home and then get immediately called again and have to drive back in for another 5-10 minute fix!

Yet, the company will only pay for time actually worked in the building. I just don't see how this is fair at all. What are my options other than looking for another non-existent job in this economy? I honestly don't like where I work anymore, but have no choice. The job market sucks right now.

I'm not asking for the world. I'm not asking for anything extravagant. I just want my pay to be fair.

pattytx

Where you live is your choice, not the employer's. Generally speaking, commute time is not compensable, except MAYBE if you were called back from home after completing your regular work day. Neither is the 2-hour minimum required by your state.
29CFR785.785.36 - Home to work in emergency situations.

As you can see, this regulation takes no black-and-white position on this issue; each situation must be considered separately. Also, the word "emergency" is not defined. Whether the work you are called back for would be considered an "emergency" by the DOL is questionable at best.

You can try giving the federal DOL a call and get an investigator's opinion. I would not be terribly optimistic, though.

I just might have to give the DOL a call. I know that my employer referrs those issues that we have to drive in for an emergency. We are not really allowed to drive in unless it's an emergency issue. For example, if a machine is down and production is being effected, that's an emergency in the companies eyes and we would need to go in and fix it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">