• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complacated POA question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ezmarelda

What is the name of your state? California

I have a rather complicated question. Please bare with me I know this is long but the info is necessary.
When DufuX and I were still married we had a POA drawn up. It reads:
I *DufuX* residing at *address* do hereby appoint *Eme*, as my Agent to act in my name and place, and for my benefit and on my behalf with authority to do the following:
Take any and all legal steps necessary pertaining to enforcement of the Judgment of dissolution of marriage and all post-judgment orders pertaining to the dissolution of marriage of *First Wife* and *DufuX* Superior Court of California *county & case#*
I hereby grant to the above Agent full right, power and authority to do every act deed and thing necessary or advisable to be done concerning the above powers, as fully as I could do if personally present and acting, including but not limited to, acting as my Agent with regard to all rights to which I am entitled pertaining to the custody and the schooling of my minor son *Jrs name & b-day*
If any provision or part of this Power of Attorney shall or held to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason, the remaining provisions shall continue to be valid and enforceable to the greatest extent possible.
This POA shall become effective immediately, shell not be effected by my disability or lack of mental competence, and shall continue effective until my death; provided however that this Power may be revoked by me at any time by providing written notice to the Agent.

DufuX and FW (first wife) have court later this week. DufuX filed for a modification to visitation after not seeing Jr for 2 & ½ years…(he just quit showing up) Jr is 14yo and has had the same GAL since he was 4yo. FW & Jr have met with the GAL and he seemed to be agreeing with Jr that DufuX needs to go through rehab and joint counseling with Jr before any visitation. DufuX has not contacted the GAL and did not show for mediation. FW has mediators recommendation stating FW should have full legal and physical custody and IF any visitation is to take place DufuX & Jr must attend counseling first and then FW, DufuX, and Jr must all agree.
Now for the complicated part: DufuX has basically disappeared. He is no longer living at his last known address, his last known phone # is disconnected, and he did not show to my last court date nor has he attempted to contact our daughter since the end of June. He also has not tried to contact FW or Jr at all. We are reasonably sure DufuX won't show up to court as he has a no-bail warrant for arrest(drug related charge)
And now my questions: Can I go to the hearing and act on his behalf if he fails to show up?

Silverplum

sorry...eme said:
Can I go to the hearing and act on his behalf if he fails to show up?
I don't know if you can, but it sure would be fun if you did!! :D

And while you're there, why not change his legal name to "DufuX?" :p

ezmarelda

Silverplum said:
I don't know if you can, but it sure would be fun if you did!! :D

And while you're there, why not change his legal name to "DufuX?" :p
I think I would have to come up with something better...but if I tried to type it here it would just look like ****************;)

ezmarelda

seniorjudge said:
Probably nothing; I can't imagine any judge honoring such a POA.
It was honored before:eek:
DufuX was locked up for non-payment of CS and was given custody (Jr was 5) I was aloud to go pick Jr up from FW 3 weeks before DufuX got out.

LdiJ

sorry...eme said:
It was honored before:eek:
DufuX was locked up for non-payment of CS and was given custody (Jr was 5) I was aloud to go pick Jr up from FW 3 weeks before DufuX got out.
However you and DufuX are now divorced. I cannot imagine a judge allowing an ex-wife to act on behalf of her ex husband for any legal matter....unless the POA was signed AFTER the divorce.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Most POAs and other legal documents giving spouses authority are not honored after the spouses become ex. Ldij is right -- no other reason to post except to say that.

Gracie3787

When my husband was on strong pain meds due to an injury he had given me POA specifically for his CS case. We had no idea that it can't be done. I answered an intterogatories for him and got a not so nice letter from the attorney for CSE. I was informed that if I continued to act on his behalf I would be arrested and charged with practicing law without a license.

So, the answer is definately no- and my suggestion is that you don't even try, just in case.

nextwife

I understood that a divorce filing created an automatic "stay" on any existing POAs between husband and wife.

ezmarelda

Thank You All

FW just called from the court house parking lot...Just as we figured DufuX was a no show...:rolleyes: ...She was awarded full legal and physical custody and DufuX has to pass 3 rand. drug tests before he can file for any visitation again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">