• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? TX

Hello!

This will probably sound a little complicated, but I will try to keep it simple. My sister and her husband are divorcing. They have been married 5 years, together 7 years. In 2004, they decided to purchase the land adjancent to their trailer. Due to bankruptcy, however, they did not have the money/credit to purchase. Her husband's mother purchased it for them and they have been making the payments ever since. The pay the landlord directly, so everyone is aware of the situation.

Due to the imprending divorce, they decided to sell the land and quickly received an offer and sold. Of course the exchange of money was between her husband's mother and the new owners.

The question: Could my sister have any right to the money from this land? They tended to it, payed for it, and partially lived on it....

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? TX

Hello!

This will probably sound a little complicated, but I will try to keep it simple. My sister and her husband are divorcing. They have been married 5 years, together 7 years. In 2004, they decided to purchase the land adjancent to their trailer. Due to bankruptcy, however, they did not have the money/credit to purchase. Her husband's mother purchased it for them and they have been making the payments ever since. The pay the landlord directly, so everyone is aware of the situation.

Due to the imprending divorce, they decided to sell the land and quickly received an offer and sold. Of course the exchange of money was between her husband's mother and the new owners.

The question: Could my sister have any right to the money from this land? They tended to it, payed for it, and partially lived on it....

Sorry, but no...there is almost no chance that she could prove it to be marital property. Its not impossible, but the cost of trying to prove that claim would likely be far more than she would realize from the land.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">