• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concrete Driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrtoledo

What is the name of your state? MI

I had my badly cracked concrete driveway replaced last summer.

Now after a couple of our lovely Michigan freeze/thaw cycles I have a ten-foot long crack in my driveway. The crack is in just about the same spot as a major crack was in the old driveway.

I realize all driveways will crack overtime, but for a crack this big to appear in the same spot as the old driveway would appear that the original surface was not properly prepared.

None of the driveway contractors I received estimates from was offering any type of written warranty. I haven’t talked to the contractor yet, but before I do I was wondering if there is any thing I have to go on? Would there be any type of assumed or implied warranty.

HomeGuru

mrtoledo said:
What is the name of your state? MI

I had my badly cracked concrete driveway replaced last summer.

Now after a couple of our lovely Michigan freeze/thaw cycles I have a ten-foot long crack in my driveway. The crack is in just about the same spot as a major crack was in the old driveway.

I realize all driveways will crack overtime, but for a crack this big to appear in the same spot as the old driveway would appear that the original surface was not properly prepared.

None of the driveway contractors I received estimates from was offering any type of written warranty. I haven’t talked to the contractor yet, but before I do I was wondering if there is any thing I have to go on? Would there be any type of assumed or implied warranty.
**A: what does your contract state?

HomeGuru

mrtoledo said:
The contract makes no mention to any type of warranty. It just states the work that was being done and the price being charged.
**A: then you have a crappy contract that you need a local attorney to review. Good luck. You're gonna need it.

mrtoledo

HomeGuru said:
**A: then you have a crappy contract that you need a local attorney to review. Good luck. You're gonna need it.

I had 6 different contractors out here and nobody would put any type of warranty in writing for concrete work.

Bottom line there is really nothing to review. The contract is nothing more than a written estimate and receipt. But normally in this type of work is there any type of implied warranty? I was looking and I have found a large amount of new home warranties that exclude concrete cracking.

HomeGuru

mrtoledo said:
I had 6 different contractors out here and nobody would put any type of warranty in writing for concrete work.

Bottom line there is really nothing to review. The contract is nothing more than a written estimate and receipt.

**A: yes, that's why I said it's a crappy contract.
But normally in this type of work is there any type of implied warranty?

**A: yes, there could be.
I was looking and I have found a large amount of new home warranties that exclude concrete cracking.
**A: not true as there are acceptable crack tolerances and it also depends upon the types of cracks and the causes ie. poor constuction of form work, bad concrete mix (improper cement, water, aggregate mixture), improper fill/soil compaction, improper placement and ties of reinforcing steel/wire mesh, inadequate curing methods..........
It appears though, that you have a soil problem that is causing the concrete to crack.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">