• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of Interest- Opposing attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Illinois

A friend of mine is currently involved in a paternity action. She hired an attorney to go through this process....The other party who actually brought the action (her ex-boyfriend) has the new fiancés brother as his attorney. Her attorney said there was no law against getting free legal help from a friend----But I would think that if he intentionally put off hearings and filings to drain her account at no cost to his client....there would be something that she could do to stop this behavior.

Problem- The attorney for boyfriend apparently told her attorney that he was going to be withdrawing from the case - she received this letter in November from her attorney and was told that this is the reason why nothing had been done with her case since October, and none of her filings had been answered.
December 8th- attorney for boyfriend comes into court and has changed his mind and is now filing more petitions against her (mind you this was supposed to be the day he actually quit after informing his client)......her attorney was not prepared for this, so on this date did nothing- charged her 175.00 to be at court that day.
This other attorney for boyfriend has also on several occasions told her attorney that one thing would happen, and then it ended up being the opposite- Agreed on order, and then changed his mind, and filed other orders contradicting what they had agreed on.... The whole time my friend has paid over 2500.00 to her attorney for court dates where nothing happens, because other attorney agrees and then when court comes around decides not to agree and her attorney appears to be very trusting (stupid).

Is this legal for the other attorney to act as if he is being paid, and to withdraw from the case claiming he can't deal with his client (Insinuating non payment) only to change his mind at the last minute???? It appears as if this attorney is intentionally trying to drain my friend’s bank account while his client pays nothing..... by withdrawing and then rehiring himself. In almost a year the only thing that has been accomplished is child support that is wrong - boyfriend did not give accurate info on pay (claimed he made 30,000 less and refused to comply with order to get bank records filed in September….still hasn’t complied) IS THIS UNETHICAL OR ILLEGAL? Or DOES SHE JUST NEED A NEW ATTORNEY?

I'm going to end here but if you need anymore info......Just ask......

classychazy

I can tell you from my own experiance that they can hold this up forever and there is no conflict because it's an attorney and not a judge I would tell your friend to find a very aggresive attorney and turn up the heat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">