• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confusing hospital visit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swalsh411

You seem to be unable to read a forum post.

I didn't go to the emergency room to have tests run that had already been run less than 12 hours prior. I went there because they said I could go back there and dispute the prescription. I thought there was something wrong with me. If there had been, prescribing Vistaril would've been negligent. Since there wasn't, they should've told me from the start instead of telling me that there was a medical problem other than anxiety.
I understood you just fine. You went to the emergency room because you thought something was wrong with you. You were treated accordingly. If you had doubts as to your prescription or not sure you were being treated properly then you should have made a normal appointment with your doctor, not gone to the ER. I don't think you understand the function of an ER. It's not for follow up care or patients who have questions about their treatment.

swalsh411

Wanted to add that the OP needs to realize that ER doctors have neither the time nor responsibility to consult and debate with patients when it comes to what kinds of tests will be performed. If they think a test is necessary they will perform it, and the patient will pay for it. This is just something you have to know before you go to the ER and why you shouldn't go unless it's truly an emergency.

justalayman

I did, I told them I was just there to talk to the doctor and I didn't want tests. I was hardly in any shape to fight them.
what do you mean you were hardly in any shape to fight them? First, you have to permit treatment. They cannot legally treat a conscious person without their permission so you had to have given permission to treat you. Then, if you were so disabled they believed you required immediate treatment and could not stop them, you obviously have been lying here.

They didn't give me a diagnosis except high blood pressure and the even more vague "palpitations."
they cannot determine "high blood pressure" or more properly, hypertension, from a single visit. All they can tell you is what your BP is at the time of the exam. Diagnosing hypertension requires multiple exams where your BP can be checked to be sure it isn't something like, oh, maybe something like an anxiety issue that would also cause a high blood pressure reading for a limited period of time.

again, palpitations are not a symptom of hypertension so again, there was obviously more diagnosed than hypertension. They told you you had high blood pressure because when they examined you, you had high blood pressure. They didn't diagnose you with hypertension because they could not based simply on that one visit.

I went there because they said I could go back there and dispute the prescription.
who is "they"

rodavon

I understood you just fine. You went to the emergency room because you thought something was wrong with you. You were treated accordingly. If you had doubts as to your prescription or not sure you were being treated properly then you should have made a normal appointment with your doctor, not gone to the ER. I don't think you understand the function of an ER. It's not for follow up care or patients who have questions about their treatment.
I called the hospital and this is what they told me to do. I understand what the ER is for, and that's why I initially went to the clinic.

I should also add that the clinic, which is my primary doctor, turned me away because the hospital hadn't cleared me yet.

Last edited:

rodavon

Wanted to add that the OP needs to realize that ER doctors have neither the time nor responsibility to consult and debate with patients when it comes to what kinds of tests will be performed. If they think a test is necessary they will perform it, and the patient will pay for it. This is just something you have to know before you go to the ER and why you shouldn't go unless it's truly an emergency.
I was under false pretenses from the start. You people are getting all the information in a few paragraphs, but I got it gradually over the course of a day or two, in vague, confusing, and self-contradicting fragments.

justalayman

I called the hospital and this is what they told me to do. I understand what the ER is for, and that's why I initially went to the clinic.
so, when did this phone conversation take place in relation to you going to the walk in clinic who told you to go back to the ER?
you people are getting all the information in a few paragraphs
Obviously we aren't. You just added that the hospital folks told you to go back to the ER. Previously you said the folks at the walk in clinic said to return to the ER (but for different reasons. Remember, you said it was considered an emergency situation so they could not treat you?) Now, for some reason there was no emergency and the people at the hospital said to return to the ER.

You need to quit changing your story.

Regardless, there was nothing wrong with their prescription and you allowed treatment or were incapable of refusing treatment the second time so you owe the bill...pay it.

rodavon

so, when did this phone conversation take place in relation to you going to the walk in clinic who told you to go back to the ER?
I went to the clinic first. I don't believe I contradicted that, but maybe I did.

You just added that the hospital folks told you to go back to the ER.
No, I said they "told me to go back to the doctor." Sorry if I wasn't more clear. They actually told me to go back to the ER.

Previously you said the folks at the walk in clinic said to return to the ER (but for different reasons. Remember, you said it was considered an emergency situation so they could not treat you?) Now, for some reason there was no emergency and the people at the hospital said to return to the ER.
What were those different reasons? The clinic told me to go to the ER because they can't treat people who aren't stabilized. I don't believe I've said anything differently.

You need to quit changing your story.
I'm not changing it, I'm clarifying it.

Regardless, there was nothing wrong with their prescription
So you're a doctor now, too?

and you allowed treatment or were incapable of refusing treatment the second time so you owe the bill...pay it.
It doesn't matter, even if I had walked out of the room right then, they still would've charged me. Once I was back in the ER, it couldn't be changed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What exactly do you mean by "dispute the prescription?" Do you mean that you wanted to be re-evaluated to see if you should be prescribed something different? If that's the case, then that's exactly what happened. Pay the bill.

rodavon

What exactly do you mean by "dispute the prescription?" Do you mean that you wanted to be re-evaluated to see if you should be prescribed something different? If that's the case, then that's exactly what happened. Pay the bill.
Vistaril is indicated for allergies, nausea, and anxiety, NOT for high blood pressure or anything heart-related. I've had doctors who like to "experiment" on me before, and I've known people who have been given outlandishly random prescriptions at this hospital before. I thought that was what was happening, since the pills didn't work and my other doctor turned me away.

justalayman

rodavon;3045955]I went to the clinic first. I don't believe I contradicted that, but maybe I did.
You altered who gave you directive to return to the hospital and for what reason.

No, I said they "told me to go back to the doctor." Sorry if I wasn't more clear. They actually told me to go back to the ER.
You had just posted that the people at the ER (as in hospital) are who told you to return to the hospital (for whatever reason). Prior to that, you said the walk in clinic personnel told you to go to the ER because they did not handle emergency cases. Apparently you had gone to the clinic for treatment and somebody determined it was an emergency oriented situation.

What were those different reasons? The clinic told me to go to the ER because they can't treat people who aren't stabilized. I don't believe I've said anything differently.
but in the latest post, you said the hospital personnel told you to return to the ER. Which is it; the clinic personnel of the hospital personnel told you to return to the ER.

and if the clinic wouldn't treat a person who isn't stabilized, obviously you went there for treatment, not merely information about the prescription.

I'm not changing it, I'm clarifying it.
no, you are most definitely changing your story

So you're a doctor now, too?
no but I can read. I already gave you a quote from a site that deals with medications. it clearly stated the scrip you received is one that is used to treat anxiety.

It doesn't matter, even if I had walked out of the room right then, they still would've charged me. Once I was back in the ER, it couldn't be changed.
if you did not sign a consent to treat, they would not have taken you anywhere. They would have talked to you at the desk and if they could not answer the administrative questions, they would have referred you to a department that could. It is obvious you went back to the ER seeking treatment. That is proven by your visit to the clinic where they refused to treat you due to not being stabilized.

justalayman

Vistaril is indicated for allergies, nausea, and anxiety, NOT for high blood pressure or anything heart-related. I've had doctors who like to "experiment" on me before, and I've known people who have been given outlandishly random prescriptions at this hospital before. I thought that was what was happening, since the pills didn't work and my other doctor turned me away.
but it is used to treat anxiety which sounds like what you presented with.

and the pills did work, at least as much as expected given the extremely short period of time you took them. You even admit to feeling better. What would you call that?

and now you are sounding a bit paranoid about the doctors. Maybe a psych consult would be a good next step for you.

rodavon

but it is used to treat anxiety which sounds like what you presented with.

and the pills did work, at least as much as expected given the extremely short period of time you took them. You even admit to feeling better. What would you call that?

and now you are sounding a bit paranoid about the doctors. Maybe a psych consult would be a good next step for you.
I was FEELING a little better. My blood pressure was still high, I just wasn't as stressed out about it.

And no, I did not "change" who referred me to the ER. Both the hospital and the clinic did. However, the clinic has a policy of playing it safe, so this doesn't necessarily mean it WAS an emergency.

It might be worth mentioning that the doctor who gave me Vistaril also referred me to a urologist for some reason I don't understand. I called the hospital and they have no idea why, either.

OHRoadwarrior

I should also add that the clinic, which is my primary doctor, turned me away because the hospital hadn't cleared me yet.
If you do not have a primary care doctor, because you are low income, I suggest you explore contacting their billing office to see if you qualify to have some of your fees waived. If you are illegal, it is my understanding you automatically do not qualify and would be wasting your time going there.

rodavon

Forget it. I gave you all the information you need as concisely as possible, and you still can't piece it together without reading contradictions where there are no contradictions. I'm going to talk to experts about this, not people who are determined to defend the hospital no matter what.

Proserpina

Forget it. I gave you all the information you need as concisely as possible, and you still can't piece it together without reading contradictions where there are no contradictions. I'm going to talk to experts about this, not people who are determined to defend the hospital no matter what.

I missed where you answered my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">