• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CONSTANT barking dog/breach of confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyitsme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

(this is long, I apologize, but greatly need advice/help)

Hello. I am a tenant in San Francisco. I moved into my current apartment June 1st, and probably starting about a month later there has been a dark that barks CONSTANTLY. This stupid thing will bark for hours at a time (3-4hrs) and it is usually in the morning at about 7am or 8am. It barks other times of the day as well, but this is the most noticeable.

I am woken up every single morning by this dog (even on the weekends when I would like to sleep in) and I can't take it anymore. When it first started barking I tried to talk to the owner, but they never answered their door. I left a note for them telling them to please do something about their dog, that it is bothering me and probably others, and it is rude (on the note I never left my name or apt #). Well the barking continued. I then contacted my apartment complex. They said they would "talk to the owner" and "see what they could do" blah blah.

A few days later I get a knock on my door. I don't answer but speak to the guy from inside my apartment and it was the owner of the dog! He was like "we are trying to train the dog, I'm sorry" etc. etc. I was BEYOND livid at this point because since he was at my door that meant my apartment management company told him where the complaint came from/where I lived. I have no idea if this is against any specific CA laws, but it has to be. There has to be some type of confidentiality laws regarding such things. For all I know this guy could follow me and try to harm me since he now knows where I live.

Well the barking continued and about a month ago I complained AGAIN (after other continued complaints) to my apartment complex (through email). I told them I am sick of this and that it needs to stop. I told them this is a violation of lease terms on the dog owners part as it specifically says in my lease "tenant shall not make or permit any noise, or engage in or permit any other conduct which disturbs or offends residents or neighbors." It also says "Failure to comply with the rules will constitute a material breach of the Tenancy agreement and may constitute a just cause for eviction." By the way, I am almost positive the dog owner signed the same lease as he moved in about a month after me.

In response to my email, the guy who emailed me back pretty much said there is nothing they can do until other people complain. What the hell? I told him that is outrageous and nowhere in the lease does it state that a certain number of people need to complain before action has to be taken. He went around in circles with me and told me if it bothers other people then I should collect names and signatures from people in the building. I told him this is not my job as I do not work for the apartment complex, and once again, nowhere in the lease does it state a certain number of names and signatures be required. I said some other things to him, similar to that, and since then have not heard back. Also since then, I know for a fact that other people have complained.

It is obvious my apartment company is not going to follow the terms of the lease and do something about this problem. It is going on as I am typing this. In fact I have been up since 8am (on a Sunday) because of this f-ing dog. I contacted the SF rent board, and they said they can't really do anything about the dog specifically, but that I can petition to have a decrease in my rent due to failure of my apartment company to resolve the issue/abide by the lease. I have printed out the proper paperwork and plan on submitting it. I guess from there a judge hears the case.

So with that in mind I would like to know what I am up against. Is my apartment company in the wrong? There's no way this can be "legal." Am I just supposed to live in discomfort and continue to be constantly woken up? There also HAS to be some type of law about them breaching my confidentiality. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

heyitsme

Too long. Too much non-relevant 'stuff'.
Nope. If you don't want to read it no one is forcing you to. Im trying to avoid all future questions that I will possibly get asked. It saves time for everyone involved because it's all right there to begin with.

And if you know there's too much non relevant 'stuff' then that means you read it. And since you read it and are still replying with something useless, I guess you don't have to bother with this post anymore.

Isis1

Nope. If you don't want to read it no one is forcing you to. Im trying to avoid all future questions that I will possibly get asked. It saves time for everyone involved because it's all right there to begin with.

And if you know there's too much non relevant 'stuff' then that means you read it. And since you read it and are still replying with something useless, I guess you don't have to bother with this post anymore.
being rude...doesn't help you either.

look, i get it. you're cranky. annoying dog can do that to anyone.

but that was too long. and ALOT was irrelevant.

heyitsme

being rude...doesn't help you either.

look, i get it. you're cranky. annoying dog can do that to anyone.

but that was too long. and ALOT was irrelevant.
So does this mean you don't have anything beneficial to add, either? Since you obviously read it as well.

No one is forcing you to read it if it's too long for you.

heyitsme

same as no one is being forced to answer either. ;)
Yep. I never said anyone was forced to answer.

I just think it's extremely rude to come into someone's post where they are asking for help/advice ONLY to say "that was too long," after clearly reading it. If it's too long (which I even prefaced it with), then don't read it, don't answer, and you don't have to come back to the post. I don't really think that's a hard concept. But to purposefully read it, and then only complain that it's too long, while not offering up any insight or advice on the situation is just rude.

If you want to read it (which you obviously did anyway) and then give some advice, and maybe end it with "hey that was a bit lengthy, you might want to cut some of it out," then that would be perfectly fine. But neither of you did that.

Just Blue

I just think it's extremely rude to come into someone's post where they are asking for help/advice ONLY to say "that was too long," after clearly reading it. If it's too long (which I even prefaced it with), then don't read it, don't answer, and you don't have to come back to the post. I don't really think that's a hard concept. But to purposefully read it, and then only complain that it's too long, while not offering up any insight or advice on the situation is just rude.
If you are too stupid to realize that Jetx was trying to help you with his comment, then go pay an attorney to listen to your blather. You have been a member here long enough to know the site etiquette.

Isis1

If you want to read it (which you obviously did anyway) and then give some advice, and maybe end it with "hey that was a bit lengthy, you might want to cut some of it out," then that would be perfectly fine. But neither of you did that.
and you still haven't shortened it.....

Isis1

Read the history...OP is probably drunk.;)
you mean read?? some MORE!! oh for the love of pete**************:p

that was quick, i saw the titles of the thread. well, if not drunk, definitely hung over.

OP, come back after you have drinken a raw egg. don't breathe, don't taste, and no air. then come back, and shorten your post.

Last edited:

heyitsme

If you are too stupid to realize that Jetx was trying to help you with his comment, then go pay an attorney to listen to your blather. You have been a member here long enough to know the site etiquette.
I guess I'm too stupid then. His comment did not appear to be trying to help me in any way. To me it seemed like he was being rude and just mocking me.

And I don't know anything about "site etiquette" here. So maybe you should make a sticky post with that information. I have made plenty of "lengthy posts" and seen others who have as well. No one has ever said anything about a post being too long.

Once again, if people in here are just going to be rude and not try to offer up any advice in a courteous manner, then like I said, you don't have to come in here :)

PghREA

Check with your local municipality to see if there is a noise ordinance for barking dogs - if there is, file a complaint.

Baranov

When someone takes the time out of their busy day to resolve a problem, you might consider trying a little less cringing behind your door. In the future open the door and talk to the dog owner face to face. The landlord has done nothing illegal by telling him that you are being bothered by his barking dog. The rest of your post was too incoherent to read. You might want to make a second attempt at reposting, hopefully with a shorter version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">