• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Constructive Abandonment in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Banned_Princess

I don't think "drug addict" is the proper term for the woman of this story.

mucus relief over the counter meds? no way.

drug addicts take real drugs. this lady is more of an -over the counter overdoser-.

plus how could anybody prove someone was abusing otc mucus meds, and those meds were making her a danger to her children.

maybe OP should try to deal with a crack addict, see what real drug addicts are like. :rolleyes:

Bali Hai

drug addicts take real drugs. this lady is more of an -over the counter overdoser-.

plus how could anybody prove someone was abusing otc mucus meds, and those meds were making her a danger to her children.

maybe OP should try to deal with a crack addict, see what real drug addicts are like. :rolleyes:
Nobody here has proof of anything, we need to accept OP's tell all tale, period.

OP doesn't need to deal with a crack addict to re-inforce his situation.

Now, just smoke another bowl, go to bed and respond in the early afternoon tomorrow, ok?

PS: make sure there is enough potato chips in the house first.

Proserpina

YOU need to go and take a nap.

You're way off base here.

Proserpina

Can we think of anymore conjecture to cloud the issue?

Our OP has said the woman is a drug addict, let's take that at face value and give advice. Otherwise, produce evidence to the contrary.

Aw you actually made me Ell Oh Ell there, Bali puddin!

You asked me to do something. Too funny!

(And really - start READING the posts, dear)

Banned_Princess

I am just trying to get across the point that REAL drug addicts are far more dangerous then someone who ODs on OTC MUCUS relief pills.

and if she can be off and on as easy as being at work, or not at work, she is not ADDICTED to anything, and could easily be not "high" while around the kids. Is someone who drinks beer while not at work, addicted to beer? no, that is considered fine, and good wholesome fun.

even if it is nighttime relief. maybe she has serious mucus problems. :rolleyes:

Ps, I hate potato chips. and I prefer fruit bowls to pot bowls.

LdiJ

Oh, I know. But someone might use different terms. :cool:

I'm wondering though if Mom isn't taking guaifenesin DM. The dextro could certainly produce a high if abused.
I am going to kind of agree with Banned Princess here. I cannot imagine that any OTC meds would produce enough of a high to be considered a real problem. Otherwise the FDA wouldn't allow them to be an OTC drug. Then he states that in addition, she drinks a "couple" of beers.

I am fine with believing that the OTC drugs you describe could provide somewhat of a high if misused. However this does not describe an drug addict/alcoholic. Their children are also not young enough for a slightly inebriated parent to be a serious danger to them either.

I think that the OP is grasping at straws to try to claim constructive abandonment due to drug and alcohol addiction...or unfit parent either. I would just about bet that any drug or alcohol test wouldn't show anything, even if he could get a judge to order tests, and then he would end up looking like a fool in court.

Of course, he can discuss it with an attorney if he feels strongly about it, but I cannot see anything flying on this.

mistoffolees

I am just trying to get across the point that REAL drug addicts are far more dangerous then someone who ODs on OTC MUCUS relief pills.
As I've stated, I don't believe she's seriously impaired from mucus medicine.

HOWEVER, I disagree with what you've written. The determining factor is not whether someone is taking an over the counter drug or an illegal drug. The important factor is whether they're impaired. We're talking about the safety of the children. If ex's mental capabilities are impaired, then they should not be watching the kids. OTOH, if they're taking very small doses of in illegal drug (a few tokes of pot), they may not be impaired significantly.

There are over-the-counter drugs which, if abused, can create significant impairment.

Of course, that all begs the question. OP doesn't have a shred of evidence that his ex is impaired so it's a moot point, but I don't want people thinking that OTC drugs can't do any harm.

and if she can be off and on as easy as being at work, or not at work, she is not ADDICTED to anything, and could easily be not "high" while around the kids. Is someone who drinks beer while not at work, addicted to beer? no, that is considered fine, and good wholesome fun.
That is also incorrect. There are addicts who can function perfectly well in society. And there's no definition that says that one is only an addict if they're on drugs 24 hours a day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">