• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cont. Property management received 35 days notice prior to move in or lease effective date. Will I be able to get deposit back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Unsure in NC

Property management received 35 days notice prior to move in or lease effective date. Will I be able to get deposit back? PM indicated that I would have to pay until another tenant. Will I have to still pay the rent if I am not moving there and have already given a 35 day notice on a month to month contract? Please advise.

zddoodah

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No one can force you to pay rent.
While technically true, it does a disservice to say that in this thread's context.

The OP certainly can be contractually required to pay the amount due, and the court can enter a judgment against the OP for this amount, if it gets to that.

adjusterjack

Property management received 35 days notice prior to move in or lease effective date. Will I be able to get deposit back? PM indicated that I would have to pay until another tenant. Will I have to still pay the rent if I am not moving there and have already given a 35 day notice on a month to month contract? Please advise.
Don't get your hopes up but maybe not. NC landlord tenant statute requires only 7 days notice on a month to month tenancy. See 42-14:

GS_42-14.pdf (ncleg.net)

You've given him plenty of time to re-rent the unit if he applies reasonable diligence. NC case law requires that a landlord mitigate his loss by re-renting as soon as reasonably possible.

See Isbey v. Crews for an explanation:

Isbey v. Crews :: 1981 :: North Carolina Court of Appeals Decisions :: North Carolina Case Law :: North Carolina Law :: US Law :: Justia

If it takes him longer than 35 days and he keeps your deposit you can sue him but it would be up to you to prove that he failed to mitigate. Keep in mind that a possible defense for him is that factors in the local rental market prevented or delayed re-renting despite reasonable diligence.

You had another thread started that appears to have been deleted as a duplicate. That thread title indicates that your reason for not taking the unit was lack of appropriate internet service for working from home. Depending on what your contract says about internet service, you may have had good reason for not taking the place. Or not. Keep that possibility in mind as you move forward.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">