• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contact Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in California. I have sole physical and legal custody of my son and his father is on professionally supervised visitations. My ex husband has not contacted our son in over a year. No letters, calls, or visits of any kind.

In our custody order we are required to provide the other with current contact information. I recently changed my cell number, and I was wondering if I would have to give it to him? He already has my dad's home number (we use to live there), which I still use as my landline number when need be. It was my number growing up and has never changed in 30 years, so it really is a good contact number for me.

I would rather just let sleeping dogs lie and not have to contact him with a new cell number, especially since he has my other contact number. He is a scary guy, hence being put on professionally supervised visits, but I don't want to be in contempt of court.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

CSO286

I live in California. I have sole physical and legal custody of my son and his father is on professionally supervised visitations. My ex husband has not contacted our son in over a year. No letters, calls, or visits of any kind.

In our custody order we are required to provide the other with current contact information. I recently changed my cell number, and I was wondering if I would have to give it to him? He already has my dad's home number (we use to live there), which I still use as my landline number when need be. It was my number growing up and has never changed in 30 years, so it really is a good contact number for me.

I would rather just let sleeping dogs lie and not have to contact him with a new cell number, especially since he has my other contact number. He is a scary guy, hence being put on professionally supervised visits, but I don't want to be in contempt of court.

I would consider that your dad's landline--if it really is a good number for you--sufficient. As long as when your ex does ,call, you are able to get the message and return the call withing 24 hours or so, I wouldn't think a court would take issue with it.

Honestly, I'm so stingy with my cell plan, I wouldn't want to chance anyone trying to rack up my minutes or my texts.

Thank you for your advice. I would definitely get the message immediately from my father. Actually, I can access the messages myself, but my dad is so good at delivering them, that I don't usually bother.

LdiJ

Thank you for your advice. I would definitely get the message immediately from my father. Actually, I can access the messages myself, but my dad is so good at delivering them, that I don't usually bother.
Then I wouldn't worry about it. He has a good contact number for you, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

He needs your cell phone number. Your dad's home number is NOT your home number.

mistoffolees

In our custody order we are required to provide the other with current contact information. I recently changed my cell number, and I was wondering if I would have to give it to him? He already has my dad's home number (we use to live there), which I still use as my landline number when need be.
Not a chance. Court order says that you need to provide YOUR contact information, not your father's contact information.

Besides, since you say he hasn't made any contact for over a year, what are yo worried about? Zero phone calls a year isn't going to affect your bill.

Then I wouldn't worry about it. He has a good contact number for you, so there shouldn't be a problem.
I just spoke with my attorney about it, and he said the exact same as you, LdiJ. Especially since my dad's number has been another contact number for me for years.

I appreciate all of the responses!

mistoffolees

I just spoke with my attorney about it, and he said the exact same as you, LdiJ. Especially since my dad's number has been another contact number for me for years.
Then there's something you're not telling us.

If the court order specifically says that you have to give him YOUR contact information, then the phone number of a place you no longer live is not going to be sufficient.

Now, it's possible that your attorney is saying "yes, you have to give him the cell phone number, but let's let it ride to see if he does anything because you can always give him the number after he complains", but that's not the same as saying that he's not entitled to your cell phone number.

Why is it that people have to play such idiotic games when it comes to the other parent of their children?

Then there's something you're not telling us.

If the court order specifically says that you have to give him YOUR contact information, then the phone number of a place you no longer live is not going to be sufficient.

Now, it's possible that your attorney is saying "yes, you have to give him the cell phone number, but let's let it ride to see if he does anything because you can always give him the number after he complains", but that's not the same as saying that he's not entitled to your cell phone number.

Why is it that people have to play such idiotic games when it comes to the other parent of their children?
That is why I thought it best to just call my attorney, since of course I can't convey my whole history in a matter of minutes on this forum. He knows the scope of the case, the violence, and my ex's history. We can always modify the order, if need be, but my lawyer thinks he has enough contact information for me.
Thank you for your advice :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">