• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osmosis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

In the most recent SUPPLEMENTAL FINAL JUDGMENT MODIFYING FATHERS PARENTING TIME it states that I am entitled to every other weekend with our children with a rotating holiday schedule. This year I got the second half of the summer.

Due to a severe illness in the family (my FIL suffered renal failure and the doctors didn't think he'd make it) my wife & I took the children to visit their step-grandfather for the summer. I allowed the X to know the situation and allowed her to know that I would be returning the children at the end of my portion of the summer at the previously agreed upon date, place and time. Her husband called back and said that they understood, sent their best wishes for my FIL's recovery and would see us at the time I specified.

The following day child protective services contacted me and informed me that X was concerned for the well being of the children and was afraid that I would not return the children at all. I was instructed to take the kids to the local sheriff's station for a visual inspection. I complied, the sheriff's office contacted the CPS worker to let them know the results of the inspection, and we were sent on our way.

2 days later X filed a motion for contempt stating, in part:

"...the court required the other party to: advise of change of address as required by law & to allow alternate weekend visits while our children are in his care during the summer months as verbally stated by [the judge]."

She went on to say (spelling and grammatical errors included):
"On July 23, 2008 at approximately 2:30 pm Sabrina from Dept. of Children and Families notified me at work requesting a working contact number and current address for [the former husband]. She advised that [my current home] was vacant. [the former husband] fled the state of Florida with our children without prior permission from me or the courts. I have no forwarding address or any idea as to the physical whereabouts of my children.

He left a message stating my weekends weren't on paper so he wasn't bringing our children for my visitation. Despite his insistance on his weekends during my half of the summer with them"

She then requested I be responsible for the fees connected with the motion, that I be incarcerated if found in contempt, and a writ of bodily attachment be issued if I do not appear at the hearing.

Prior to this event, I advised the courts of my whereabouts, including the address of the location we were staying in. It does not state in any of our paper work that I have to ask anyone's permission to take the kids out of state during my court ordered visitation, nor does it provide for her to have visitation during that time. I am typically amenable to giving her visitation, but due to being out of state it is just not feasible.

Does she have a case or has she just wasted $50 for a big fat slap upside the head?

Humusluvr

We're you supposed to give her every other weekend during your summer visitation, as she gave you?

Did you give her an address and number while you were away?

Was your residence empty?

CourtClerk

Her husband called back and said that they understood, sent their best wishes for my FIL's recovery and would see us at the time I specified.
Puhleeeeeeze tell me this was via a voicemail that you happened to have kept.
Does she have a case or has she just wasted $50 for a big fat slap upside the head?
Probably a big slap upside the head once it all gets explained in court.

Ozzy.... no more verbals with your ex. I thought we told you this a long time ago. EVERYTHING in writing from now on, k?

osmosis

We're you supposed to give her every other weekend during your summer visitation, as she gave you?
osmosis said:
It does not state in any of our paper work that I have to ask anyone's permission to take the kids out of state during my court ordered visitation, nor does it provide for her to have visitation during that time. I am typically amenable to giving her visitation, but due to being out of state it is just not feasible.
osmosis said:
I allowed the X to know the situation and allowed her to know that I would be returning the children at the end of my portion of the summer at the previously agreed upon date, place and time.
She was advised during the phone call of our location and was given the phone number, which she has used multiple times

Humusluvr said:
yes, as we were (and still are) out of state.

Puhleeeeeeze tell me this was via a voicemail that you happened to have kept.
Yes and yes.

Ozzy.... no more verbals with your ex. I thought we told you this a long time ago. EVERYTHING in writing from now on, k?
yes ma'am.

I am currently in process of writing a response to the motion. Are those read by the judge prior to setting a hearing date or am I wasting my time?

acmb05

He said it was suggested verbally by the judge. Hence it is not an order.

Did you read the post?

Obviously they had a number because they called the next day. We can assume since they were out of state that the residence was empty of people anyway.

BL

I allowed the X to know the situation and allowed her to know that I would be returning the children at the end of my portion of the summer at the previously agreed upon date, place and time. Her husband called back and said that they understood, sent their best wishes for my FIL's recovery and would see us at the time I specified.
I don't like the tone of " allowed " .

You might get slapped for not allowing EOW .

If you moved , you will have to address that .

If you return the children to the State , to Mom as specified , that should take care of fleeing with the children .

You should strictly deal with MOM on all issues , only .

Was your residence empty ?

CourtClerk

I am currently in process of writing a response to the motion. Are those read by the judge prior to setting a hearing date or am I wasting my time?
Well, round these here parts :) hearings are set by those folks at the filing windows, however, I will tell you, MY judge reads EVERYTHING prior to the hearing. You want to respond ANYWAY to stop her from defaulting. Note to Ossy: RESPOND TO ALL motions she files.... even if they are bs. Oh... and clean up that language about you "allowed." The correct term is "informed."

Humusluvr

He said it was suggested verbally by the judge. Hence it is not an order.

Did you read the post?

Obviously they had a number because they called the next day. We can assume since they were out of state that the residence was empty of people anyway.
Yesm I obviously asked a bunch of dumb questions. What a tard I am.

osmosis

I don't like the tone of " allowed " .

You might get slapped for not allowing EOW .

If you moved , you will have to address that .

If you return the children to the State , to Mom as specified , that should take care of fleeing with the children .

You should strictly deal with MOM on all issues , only .

Was your residence empty ?
My apologies, as I used the incorrect verbiage. I informed X of the situation and our location with a working contact number. I did not move, unless being out of state for a month is considered "moving". I was dealing directly with X and am unsure as to why the new hubby called back rather than X, but we were at the hospital with my FIL and the new hubby left a message. There was no contact with him whatsoever.

I will send in my response tomorrow. Thank you once again for the wisdom! ;)

BL

I have the kids this year from July 9 to August 10.
As you see I deleted my post as it's near midnight , my brain thought entire summer , when you only said month .

You can always ask that it be dismissed as frivolous .

For there to be a finding of contempt there has to be a willful violation of explicit order(s) .

Last edited:

Farfalla

My apologies, as I used the incorrect verbiage. I informed X of the situation and our location with a working contact number. I did not move, unless being out of state for a month is considered "moving". I was dealing directly with X and am unsure as to why the new hubby called back rather than X, but we were at the hospital with my FIL and the new hubby left a message. There was no contact with him whatsoever.

I will send in my response tomorrow. Thank you once again for the wisdom! ;)
Do you still have the new husband's voice mail. This would be helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">