• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract requires mediation and protects them in other ways, but I want to pursue.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rebeccaDT

Hello,

I am new here, so hopefully I am doing everything right...I am looking for general advice about my options if a contract requires mediation instead of a lawsuit and otherwise protects them from paying for what they've done.

In a nutshell, I have a small business. I contracted with another business to provide a service for me. When we were working through the contract, I expressed my discontent with some language in the contract stating that I would not hold them responsible even if they messed up (paraphrasing obviously, can provide the actual language if needed), requiring mediation in place of a lawsuit, and capping the amount they'd have to pay as compensation if so ordered. I implored them to take this out or modify it, and they refused. I did extensive research and this is standard language for this type of service in my industry. I needed their service and I needed it fast, so I signed.

Well guess what, they did mess up. Big time. And they attempted to cover it up. All my attempts to communicate with them about this went unanswered. When I sent them an actual report of the losses they caused, they cut off my access to my own data (which the contract states they cannot do) and I immediately terminated my relationship with them.

The losses they caused amount to a hefty sum, and I want to pursue it.

Also potentially relevant, they are located in CA, I am in TX.

I am considering writing them a demand letter laying out my complaints and demanding compensation, but assuming they disregard it or otherwise blow it off, what then? I don't want to take the time to write it and rehash all of this if I really have nowhere to take it, but their screw-ups and their attempts to hide it cost my business $85K+ which is a lot for a business this size. I want compensation.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">