• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor or Employee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thaddeus333

What is the name of your state? Ca.

I am starting a business and so far I have not had a lot of business through the door. I own a catering company and so when I do get a job, I usually just call a few of my freinds in the industry. I pay them by check, but do not remove anything from their pay for taxes, fica etc. On average they may work for me for less than 10 hours per month. Do I have employees or independent contractors? Is there a form that they can fill out to be considered independent contractors? Any idea how much I am looking at for workmans comp and the other taxes that are usually deducted from pay checks? I have about 6 people who work off and on for me, I would say on a monthly average I am paying out a total of 1200 dollars in checks. Thanks in advance for the help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">