• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor's Bond issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AEGee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I recently won a construction defect/contract in court. The GC's surety company was part of the suit. The GC's attorney is now stating that I can only collect 7500.00 from the surety vs the 12,500 bond amount. He said that it is because the contract was to contruct a new dwelling vs home improvements.

Is this correct?

I thought that if I was damaged due to the result of a willful and deliberate violation of CSL law (B & P code) that I would be at least able to collect the full amount on the bond.

Pls advise.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I recently won a construction defect/contract in court. The GC's surety company was part of the suit. The GC's attorney is now stating that I can only collect 7500.00 from the surety vs the 12,500 bond amount. He said that it is because the contract was to contruct a new dwelling vs home improvements.

Is this correct?

I thought that if I was damaged due to the result of a willful and deliberate violation of CSL law (B & P code) that I would be at least able to collect the full amount on the bond.

Pls advise.

**A: we can't tell since we have no contract and court documents to review.
Have your attorney advise you.

ALogan

Since you won in court, have you gone to the licensing board about filing against the contractor's bond?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">