• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cops broke my windows, doors, garage door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pharcyder

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello, I am a landlord in California. Here are the facts.

1) The cops broke 8 dual paned windows, the front door, back door and garage door at one of my rentals.

2) My tenant's guest is suspected of performing an armed robbery. That is why the house was raided. My tenant wasn't home at the time of the raid.

Here is my question.

Who is responsible for paying for the cleanup and repairs? The cops? The tenant? Insurance? Landlord?

Thanks for all the help.

Stephen

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello, I am a landlord in California. Here are the facts.

1) The cops broke 8 dual paned windows, the front door, back door and garage door at one of my rentals.

2) My tenant's guest is suspected of performing an armed robbery. That is why the house was raided. My tenant wasn't home at the time of the raid.

Here is my question.

Who is responsible for paying for the cleanup and repairs? The cops? The tenant? Insurance? Landlord?

Thanks for all the help.

Stephen
I assume entry was made pursuant to a valid search warrant.

You can make a claim with the law enforcement agency involved. If they deny the claim, you can try to take the city to Small Claims Court. Of course you can also sue your tenant for creating the situation that led to the police action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">