• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Infringement?? Maybe, maybe not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tunie

I have a web site I developed along with an approved Copyright granted by the U. S. Copyright Office for the site.

The person who I licensed to use the site was and is completely aware that I own the copyright on the site (the code, the images, graphics, everything). My copyright application was approved by the Copyright Office as the "complete work" backed up by my deposit materials.

I have recently discovered that this person has hired another person to develop a completely new home page which is no problem, of course. The problem is that instead of continuing on and having this person develop a new site totally, they are now linking this new home page to portions of the site that I own the copyright on. In effect making it look like it's all one site, not two separate sites, even if the one is only a new home page.

Is this copyright infringement? I really am unsure if linking to another site is a copyright problem as they haven't altered my copyrighted work but are just linking to sections of it.

Tunie

Addendum

I should add that the new home page this other person did is, while "new", very similar to the site pages I developed that are copyrighted. Same color scheme, very close to the same layout. Don't know if that makes any difference as there are many sites "similar" to one another. But thought I should mention it because I feel this similarity was done on purpose so that it would purposely look like the "new" home page and the work I did would be hard to distinguish. In other words, close enough in appearance that a viewer would probably not notice that they started at one domain ("new" home page) that is linked to another domain (my work)

Also, I have not yet contacted anyone related to this situation as of yet. I cannot yet explain why I would not have been contacted to come up with a new home page if that's what was needed. Until now, I have been assuming that things were fine as I have not heard otherwise.

Thanks again and thank you for any assistance. I know how to file a proper copyright application but that's about as far as my "legal" knowledge goes. I worked for a lawyer for years but, as we all know, that doesn't make me one!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">