• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cost of a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rissaface

What is the name of your state? CA
i am 21, turning 22 next month. i was arrested after being pulled over for doing a "rolling stop" through a stop sign, having a head light out, and having modified exhaust.
it was a dui unit/ motorcycle cop, i got pulled over after pulling off of main street where all the bars are. i guess i didn't do well on the field sobriety test because i was arrested and taken to jail (i was really nervous and shivering cause it was freezing at 1230 am right next to the beach). i spent the night in jail and took a blood test when i first got there. a week later i got my blood test results and i was under the legal limit (i got .07 and the legal limit is .08). i've gotten my driver license back in the mail from the dmv and my court date isn't until march 1st. i requested a copy of my arrest report and in the report there is some weird information that is incorrect. simple questions that they asked me they wrote in things i never said (what i ate last, how much sleep i had the night before, where i was headed, if i felt the affects of the alcohol....) they also wrote in contradicting information on the field sobriety test, they wrote a "N" where it asks if i stepped off of the line while doing the heal to toe 9 steps. he put no for the first 9 and no for the second 9. but then under the notes he checked a box that said "can't keep balance" and wrote in "she stepped off of line" they wrote in the color of my shoes being white when they were green. so much of the info just doesn't make sense. i know i am going to have to get a lawyer (i can't afford one, but i also can't afford a dui) so does anyone have any advice or know a price range???

S

Simple_Indian

$ 5000

I paid 5k **************without going to trial

Doctors,Mechanics and Lawyer cant be trusted at all.

rissaface

might it be cheaper because of my BAC level and the police report?

should i get a public defender?

i really can't get the dui, i think i'll probably have a strong case.

how am i supposed to find a lawyer? do they take visa?

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

"i really can't get the dui, i think i'll probably have a strong case"

Ditto here

Still, I'm stuck with it.

I'd look for a personal reference on a lawyer, or call your state's bar.

CdwJava

You can still be found guilty of DUI under .08. The supplemental report you mention is more or less a record of the officer's notes. He will have to testify as to your performance at trial. The color of your shoes won't be relevant to the issue.

How do you think you did on the other FSTs? Remember, they don't look for stumbling or falling down.

At trial the state would have to show that your performance and/or driving demonstrated that you were impaired. An experienced DUI attorney woul dbe the best bet, but will cost you at least $5,000. A public defender is not likely to result in a victory at trial unless the case is very weak, but he or she can possibly get you a plea deal to a lesser offense of, perhaps, a wet reckless. It will still have detrimental effects to your license status, but will be less destructive.

If you truly cannot afford to be convicted, then it's time to take out a loan for a DUI attorney. Even then, they can only work with what they have.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">