• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could really use some help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff423

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I will try to make a long story short but still include all information I feel is pertinent to my situation. Please bear with me as I am new to any type of forum.

First and foremost let me say, I was an idiot. Plain and simple. If I could kick my own butt, I would. For the most part, I am a pretty intelligent man but I royally dropped the ball on this.

Divorced July 2009. Two children. One of those children turned 18 in 2012. Per the original parenting plan I was ordered to pay X amount in child support. I paid said amount, each month, every month. I did pay less for 2 months, due to hours at work being cut, but I made that up once my hours went back to 40 per week. I was ordered to pay my ex wife directly. I have all the carbon copies of the checks I wrote along with bank statements. In 2012 when my oldest turned 18 my ex wife approached me (we were still on good terms & even working on a reconciliation) about what was I going to do about modifying the support since the oldest had turned 18 and graduated. I told her I was going to file for a modification with my local chancery court. She told me I could pay her X amount her month because she didn't want to "fool with court" and "all the hassle". I went to the chancery court office to inquire about a modification. The lady working looked at my parenting plan and said "well you need to hire a mediator because that's what your plan says you have to do if you all disagree on something". I explained to her it wasn't a disagreement but I simply wanted to modify. She again told me I'd need a mediator. Having never dealt with this & knowing this woman was a clerk for the courts, I assumed she knew what she was talking about. She gave me a list of mediators & I made the calls. They were very pricey to say the least. I truly did not know what to do at this point. Again, the ex and I were on great terms, had been dating, etc. trying to work things out. So (here comes the I'm an idiot part) I agreed to pay her X amount. So from July 2012 when my oldest turned 18 until June 2015, I paid her X amount. Nothing was ever said, she never asked for more, she cashed the checks and life went on.

The first of July I received a letter from Child Support Enforcement stating they were going to garnish my check which I was perfectly fine with. As long as she got her money, I didn't care how she got it. But the order was for the amount which I was ordered to pay when we divorced in July 2009. When I called to ask about this they informed me that because the original court order was for X amount that that is what they have to enforce. That's when it hit me. What an idiot I was!! They informed me I could file for a modification to reflect the one child. So, I go to the chancery court, asked for the form to file & walked out. I filled out the form & returned it to the clerks office and was told they would contact me with a court date. I haven't been contacted yet.

A couple of days ago I received another letter from CSE stating I owed her X amount in back child support. I had paid her every month & only missed the 2 payments I spoke of earlier. The amount they say I owe her in back pay is based on the # of months since we divorced in 2009 per the original order. The amount in which she signed a sworn affidavit stating I had paid her isn't even close to what I have actually paid her. Again, I understand they can enforce the original court ordered amount on both children. But my questions are this....

1- Because I did not have it modified when the oldest aged out, will they consider what I did pay her (through verbal agreement) a gift and it not count towards anything?

2- Can someone come kick my a** for me?

3- Will a Judge not wonder why she waited 3 years, after the oldest aged out, to try and collect back pay?

4- Would a Judge consider what I did pay her as child support but if I should have been paying her more make me back pay just the difference?

I can't stress enough how mad I am at myself. She and I remained on good terms, we did decide we simply wouldn't work out as a couple & both of us went on to date other people & up until last week, we were still friendly to one another. I never saw this coming. If I owe back pay, that's fine. I would never not support my child (the one I still owe support on will be 18 next year). But the amount they are saying I owe her in back pay is an amount that will take me until 2020 to pay. I just find it so hard to believe that a Judge wouldn't consider what I did pay as support. I know they can do whatever they like but to know that a man paid his support, didn't try to get out of paying it, who truly did make an effort, who wasn't/isn't a dead beat & who is not trying to get out of paying anything that the Judge would still not count anything I paid as support. Maybe because I'm new to all of this is why I don't get it.

Can someone please help me? Do I hire an attorney? Is one really needed for this?

Thank You all in advance for your time. I hope I included all the info needed to possibly answer some of my questions.

single317dad

In Re Jacob H, M2013-01027-COA-R3-JV, may be of particular interest to you:

http://www.tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/inrejacobh.corr_._opn.pdf

http://www.tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/inrejacobh.corr_._opn.pdf

My state, and a few others, have codified payment of child support directly to the clerk, and made all direct payments "gifts". It appears Tennessee has not done that across the board, but issued judicial guidance to add that language to each support order. Does your order state that payments shall be made to the clerk, and that payments made otherwise will be considered gifts?

There are many citations and references in that document which will educate beyond what you ever wanted to learn about child support. If you can read and understand the opinion, research the cited material, learn the rules of civil procedure and court, and present your argument properly, you have a good shot at defending yourself. If not, you need to hire an attorney who can.

Under TCA § 36-2-321, there is no statute of limitations on child support payments, so her waiting three years won't matter.

Jeff423

Thank You for the advice and link. I'm going to dive in to it.

My order states "directly to the other parent". The order I received from CSE does state any other payments made aside from the wage assignment will be considered gifts but again, the original order is directly to her.

I am not trying to get out of paying her support. I certainly want to support my child. That's never been the issue. But everything I've paid to her not counting? Makes me literally sick to my stomach. Again, thank you for your advice and hopefully I can make sense of it all.

single317dad

My order states "directly to the other parent". The order I received from CSE does state any other payments made aside from the wage assignment will be considered gifts but again, the original order is directly to her.
In that case, every payment you can prove you made as ordered (directly to the mother) should be credited. Henceforth, follow the new order and make sure your state's CS clearinghouse handles your payments. Good luck.

Jeff423

In that case, every payment you can prove you made as ordered (directly to the mother) should be credited. Henceforth, follow the new order and make sure your state's CS clearinghouse handles your payments. Good luck.

Thank You for the well wishes. I do appreciate all you help. I'd like to ask one more question if you don't mind. My youngest will be 17 soon and I do have visitation but at her age, with school, work, boyfriend & friends she rarely comes to visit. I do make plans, set up pick up time, etc. but generally at the last minute something comes up and she won't come as scheduled. My ex wife is now threatening to have the credit I receive for visitation taken away from me. I can't make her understand I can not hold a gun to my childs head and force her to come but I do try to get her to come. The ex doesn't help me enforce that either. Can the credit I get for visitation be taken away from me simply because she always has plans, has to work or doesn't want to come?

single317dad

Thank You for the well wishes. I do appreciate all you help. I'd like to ask one more question if you don't mind. My youngest will be 17 soon and I do have visitation but at her age, with school, work, boyfriend & friends she rarely comes to visit. I do make plans, set up pick up time, etc. but generally at the last minute something comes up and she won't come as scheduled. My ex wife is now threatening to have the credit I receive for visitation taken away from me. I can't make her understand I can not hold a gun to my childs head and force her to come but I do try to get her to come. The ex doesn't help me enforce that either. Can the credit I get for visitation be taken away from me simply because she always has plans, has to work or doesn't want to come?
That you're not requiring the child to obey the court order (and her parents) is on both of you equally, in my opinion. Both parents need to step it up and tell the girl that her plans are already made for the visitation times, and not to make any alternate plans for those times, as she will be spending that time with her father. Period.

Whether the credit will be taken away in a modification could go either way. On the one hand, it is Mom's duty to make the child available for the visitations; on the other, if you haven't tried to enforce the order, what's Mom's incentive to do so? If Mom actually has the child more often, shouldn't she get additional credit for footing that bill? You need to insist on your visitation times. It sounds like the teenager has too much say in this arrangement.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How far away do you live? Is there a reason your daughter can't go to work/school events/see bf or friend from your home or return there after? That's all kind of real life with a teen. I had custody, and I didn't see the kids a lot at that age between my schedule and theirs. There are ways to work around it.

Jeff423

That you're not requiring the child to obey the court order (and her parents) is on both of you equally, in my opinion. Both parents need to step it up and tell the girl that her plans are already made for the visitation times, and not to make any alternate plans for those times, as she will be spending that time with her father. Period.

Whether the credit will be taken away in a modification could go either way. On the one hand, it is Mom's duty to make the child available for the visitations; on the other, if you haven't tried to enforce the order, what's Mom's incentive to do so? If Mom actually has the child more often, shouldn't she get additional credit for footing that bill? You need to insist on your visitation times. It sounds like the teenager has too much say in this arrangement.

As awful as this will make me sound I can't afford to fight her legally over visitation. I have inquired about it & because the original parenting plan states if we disagree on anything we are to go through mediation and they are pricey. Yes, time with my daughter is very important to me & if I had the money I would not hesitate for one second to hire a mediator. But unfortunately right now I don't have the means to hire one. I asked if I could just get help enforcing it without mediation & they informed me no, other than hiring an attorney which again cost money.

This has been a battle for about a year now. I call my daughter & tell her "hey I'll be over Friday to pick you up for my weekend" and she will say "ok, see ya then" and one of two things will happen. Either right before I leave to go get her I will get a text, never a call, saying "hey Mom made plans I'm not coming" or "hey my friend is here & I'm not coming" at which time I will call her. No answer. So I will call her Mom. No answer. I will reply to her text that she knew it was my weekend, she knew I was coming, etc. & I will get no response. Before my ex moved 3 months ago, I would still drive to her apartment & no one would be home. I sat for 4 hours one time, in her driveway waiting for her to come home and nothing. My ex moved 3 months ago & neither her nor my daughter will tell me where they moved to. I sent a certified letter, return receipt, to her old address & she never even picked it up. I thought once I got it back that the new address would be on the green slip saying it was never picked up & signed for but it did not. Someone told me I could send her another letter & have it stamped at the post office "return service requested" and that they would not forward it but would simply return it to me with her new address stamped on it. I did that last week but haven't gotten anything back as of yet. I know they are still in town because I see her vehicle out & about. I have begged my ex to help me enforce the visitation & she says she will, until the time comes for her to actually help me. At my ex wifes house, my daughter wears the pants. At my house, she does not. That's one reason she doesn't want to come visit. I have told her she could have friends over from time to time & her boyfriend could even visit her here but he was not allowed to spend the night like he is allowed to do at her Moms. I also don't allow her to disrespect me in my home like her Mom allows her to do. I truly believe her Mom is scared of her. She has even called me crying at work "to go get my daughter because she can't do anything with her" but yet when I would try & go get here, they'd be gone. Then I'm the bad guy for hunting her down.

Yes, if she has my daughter more then she certainly should be reimbursed for that but shes rarely even with her Mom. I can't tell you the times my ex has called me saying "can you make your daughter come home she's with such & such & refuses to come home" or "please go find your daughter I don't know where she is" shes even showed up at my doorstep asking "is your daughter here because I don't know where she is". I have gone to her friends homes in the past when it was my time & she was supposedly with said friend only to find out she was not. When I ask where she is I never get a response. I honestly don't know what else to do aside from mediation but that will be a few more weeks until I have the funds to pay for one.

Jeff423

How far away do you live? Is there a reason your daughter can't go to work/school events/see bf or friend from your home or return there after? That's all kind of real life with a teen. I had custody, and I didn't see the kids a lot at that age between my schedule and theirs. There are ways to work around it.
Up until 3 months ago when they moved, they lived about 15 minutes from me.

Yes, she can have friends over, her boyfriend over, etc. at my home I just will not allow her to boyfriend to spend the night with her. She is about to be 17 & I know things happen but it's not going to happen under my roof. When she's with Mom he can spend the night with her & vice versa & I guess because I won't allow it I'm the bad guy.

Just Blue

Yes, she can have friends over, her boyfriend over, etc. at my home I just will not allow her to boyfriend to spend the night with her. She is about to be 17 & I know things happen but it's not going to happen under my roof. When she's with Mom he can spend the night with her & vice versa & I guess because I won't allow it I'm the bad guy.
Doesn't make you the bad guy because you don't want to be a grandfather yet. ;)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

You know he could stay over and sleep in a different room, right? And what's up with the "At my ex wifes house, my daughter wears the pants. At my house, she does not. That's one reason she doesn't want to come visit." Do you not allow her to wear pants? What about friends (like, girls) staying over?

I'm kind of understanding why she doesn't want to spend time at your home. And it really has little to do with her b/f.

Jeff423

You know he could stay over and sleep in a different room, right? And what's up with the "At my ex wifes house, my daughter wears the pants. At my house, she does not. That's one reason she doesn't want to come visit." Do you not allow her to wear pants? What about friends (like, girls) staying over?

I'm kind of understanding why she doesn't want to spend time at your home. And it really has little to do with her b/f.
I am hoping you're being sarcastic with the pants comment because I didn't mean she literally didn't wear pants at her Moms or at my house. She is fully clothed lol. No, he can't sleep over and stay in a different room. I was 17 once & I know how things work. I am trying to prevent her from being a Mom at 18. She's already had one scare.

As for her not wanting to spend time at my home, well, I have rules. I am not a hard ass. But I do expect her to respect me & my home. At Moms she has no rules. Period. She is free to come & go as she pleases. That's not happening on my watch. The reason why they moved is because my ex wifes landlord evicted her because of damage my daughter caused to the property. She's not going to destroy my home when I tell her no, like she does her Moms. She came & lived with me for 7 months a few years back because Mom "couldn't handle her". In those 7 months she went from straight F's to A's & B's, she didn't miss a single day of school but with Mom, she'd been to truancy court, twice. She behaved, didn't act out, didn't destroy anything of mine & actually was on the right path. Then she went back to Moms & since then they have been back in truancy court 3 times & she was told the last time if she missed anymore school they would detain her in Juvenile holding & Mom would go to jail. I will be shocked if she is even able to graduate as many credits as she is lacking. So, why would an almost 17 year old want to come visit Dad when it's not a free for all at my house?

Just Blue

No I certainly do not lol. But because I don't allow it, I'm the worst Dad in the world to hear her tell it anyway :confused:
I wouldn't allow, and never have allowed, my minor children to have "co-ed" steepovers. I can't control what they do as an adult and out of the house...but in MY HOME? My word is law.
I've been a Mother for almost 26 years and still not a Grammy. ;)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I am hoping you're being sarcastic with the pants comment because I didn't mean she literally didn't wear pants at her Moms or at my house. She is fully clothed lol.
Nope, not being sarcastic at all. I assume you require her to wear skirts, rather than pants. Why?

I'll address the rest later. After you've answered my question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">