• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Counseling for Minor Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wileybunch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

DH and his ex share joint legal custody. He has standard visitation during the school year and they share physical custody 50/50 in the summer. My husband's 14yoDD (the last of 4 child that's under age) texted me today about something and happened to mention she had a counseling appointment on Thursday. Her mom set up counseling for her and hadn't told DH about it.

In the past, Mom has blocked counseling for the kids so that DH twice had it court ordered (for the same counselor both times). It's been about a year since the previous counselor has been used. This past Sunday, she expressed some things (such as she's sick of both of her parents sorta thing and for her to say anything negative about her mom to us is a big deal b/c if word got back to her mom, there's be heck to pay) and I suggested she consider talking to her school counselor if she needed someone to talk to. She said her school counselor is creepy so I knew from our convo that she was open to and wanting counseling again. So it's not out of the blue that she would need to or want to go to counseling.

Mom got a referral to LDS Family Services, an organization within our church that provides counseling and other services for families.

DH asked Mom about it and she is saying she doesn't know when the appointment will be or with whom, but DD said it's on Thursday so Mom's not being forthcoming.

DH has a call into someone he knows that works with LDS Family Services to find out where their local offices are to see if he can make a connection with whomever the appointment is with. He wants to be part of an intake type appointment, if appropriate, or any ongoing sessions the counselor may feel is helpful.

My questions are:

1. Is that reasonable so far to contact the counselor and to have at least an initial meeting with the counselor?
2. Is it reasonable to ask the counselor to communicate about when they have seen the child? Not content of the conversations, but just that they have seen the child.

When DH did take DD to the counselor he had specified in the court order, he did everything above board, invited Mom (and stepdad) to meet the counselor, etc. Mom's giving no indication she will be using an open approach, thus the questions.

Thanks in advance.

ecmst12

I think it's reasonable to ask the therapist to relay all the same info to dad that she relays to mom.

And meeting her on his own certainly doesn't sound like a bad idea!

wileybunch

Thanks, ecmst.
DH spoke to the person that works there. She asked if he shared legal custody, he said he did, and she said he absolutely should make contact and be involved (said that's his right legally, etc. -- I was impressed she knew the law right off the bat), and gave him the tel # and address so he'll call tomorrow and square things up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">