• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Counterpetition vs Motion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harley1102

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
A hearing has been set and will be heard in six days. My ex-wife filed a motion for contempt asking for enforcement and an award for attorney's fees. If I file a counterpetition can I be heard for a modification at the hearing or should I file a motion to be heard at the hearing? How can I be heard at the hearing? All arrears have been paid in full.

Ronin

You can file a properly supported motion for modification prior to the hearing.

But given the timing of your motion for modification, my guess is the response would be a motion to dismiss your motion, or alternatively to be granted a continuance to hear your motion at a later date so they can prepare. It's a good bet one of these options would be granted.

Their original motion for contempt and enforcement would then likely still proceed on schedule.

Last edited:

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
A hearing has been set and will be heard in six days. My ex-wife filed a motion for contempt asking for enforcement and an award for attorney's fees. If I file a counterpetition can I be heard for a modification at the hearing or should I file a motion to be heard at the hearing? How can I be heard at the hearing? All arrears have been paid in full.
This was basically answered in your other thread. https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/hearing-before-general-magistrate-457659.html

Gracie3787

You can file a properly supported motion for modification prior to the hearing.

But given the timing of your motion for modification, my guess is the response would be a motion to dismiss your motion, or alternatively to be granted a continuance to hear your motion at a later date so they can prepare. It's a good bet one of these options would be granted.

Their original motion for contempt and enforcement would then likely still proceed on schedule.
In Florida a person must file a petition for a modification instead of a motion, as I advised the OP in the other thread.

The main difference between the 2 being that a petition must be served by process server, with 20 days for a response to be filed. A hearing cannot be set until the served party responds, or there is a default order issued.

A motion can be served by mail, there is no requirement for a response and a hearing date can be set the same day as the motion is filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">