• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Couple of HOA questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

al91206

State: California

I have a couple of questions.

I've been a board member of my HOA since it started and we've had some drama w/ our management company - since the board members all work full time we have a mgmt company.

At any rate here are the questions:

1. Can either board members or residents be paid for odd jobs that they do - like programming the directory, etc? The mgmt company says "no" - and this is "voluteer work". Although our last mgmt company said it was fine.

2. What is the law regarding towing cars? We have an awful parking situation and we were told that if we called a towing company to tow illegally parked cars whoever called would have to sign a form - but I remember that this did not used to be the case - is this a new law?

Any help on these questions is greatly appreciated.

Al in SoCal

BlondiePB

State: California

I have a couple of questions.

I've been a board member of my HOA since it started and we've had some drama w/ our management company - since the board members all work full time we have a mgmt company.

At any rate here are the questions:

1. Can either board members or residents be paid for odd jobs that they do - like programming the directory, etc? The mgmt company says "no" - and this is "voluteer work". Although our last mgmt company said it was fine.

2. What is the law regarding towing cars? We have an awful parking situation and we were told that if we called a towing company to tow illegally parked cars whoever called would have to sign a form - but I remember that this did not used to be the case - is this a new law?

Any help on these questions is greatly appreciated.

Al in SoCal
What do your bylaws and state statutes say about BODs being paid?

As for the cars, is there not any signs posted on the HOA property? If so, only BOD members can call that company to have the cars towed.

The HOA should have paid that company a retainer. And, the BOD is responsible for updating the BOD company with current BOD members. Call the towing company retained for details with them.

al91206

Thanks for reply

I don't know what our bylaws state about being paid. We are not paid for our meeting, being on the board, etc. I'll have to check - if not a BOD - how about a regular homeowner being paid to program the directory - is that ok?

We have signs everywhere - they were provided to us by the towing company. The company used to just come by and tow whoever was parked illegal. Our mgmt company said somemone has to sign now. I was just wondering if that was correct?

BlondiePB

I don't know what our bylaws state about being paid. We are not paid for our meeting, being on the board, etc. I'll have to check - if not a BOD - how about a regular homeowner being paid to program the directory - is that ok?
What do you bylaws and state statutes say about a homeowner being compensated?
We have signs everywhere - they were provided to us by the towing company. The company used to just come by and tow whoever was parked illegal. Our mgmt company said somemone has to sign now. I was just wondering if that was correct?
What did the towing company say when you called them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">