• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court on the 30th for park curfew ticket from 3 years ago?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

If I were you I wouldnt just plead guilty to this absurd case without first getting COMPETENT legal advice from someone who knows the law in CO. You have been highly prejudiced by the state by their delay in prosecution.. so you might think about a consultation with someone who knows CO law and case law...

You Are Guilty

If I were you I wouldnt just plead guilty to this absurd case without first getting COMPETENT legal advice from someone who knows the law in CO. You have been highly prejudiced by the state by their delay in prosecution.. so you might think about a consultation with someone who knows CO law and case law...
Have you been personally testing the MMJ laws today? How in the world is his own FTA prejudicial? (Unless, of course, it was the State who tied him to his bed and kept him from making his court date).

Ganjii

What exactly do you mean by this? I'm sorry, I'm just not very good with law and the terms..

Hey, it's always worth a shot to tell your public defender the following and see if he agrees with you that it might work... Say that you don't remember being arrested for this charge because it happened so many years ago. Therefore, your ability to fairly challenge the legal action is no longer sufficient. You have no idea what the charges entail because you do not know what occurred. Because this is such a petty charge, a judge who hears this argument might very well throw the case out. I've seen something like this work before. Naturally if it was a hit and run drunk driving case, and the driver said, hey look Judge, I was so drunk I can't remember what happened and therefore I shouldn't have to face the charges, such a scheme would not work. But it has happened before with petty baloney cases such as this. I'd give it odds of 30 to 35% percent of working, which is pretty good... See what your Public Defender says, but if you decide to tell him that you can't even remember what occurred, make it appear genuine. Also, it seems to me that you have been prejudiced by the delay which has occurred in this case... What is the statute of limitations for the prosecution to try a misdemeanor or infraction case such as this in your State? It might be something like a year or two? There is also a high possibility that the arresting officer will not even show up for the hearing, and you would get your case thrown out then... Many things could work out for you...

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If I didn't know any better I'd say boboconner got bounced and is now back under a different name.

Ganjii

Who's bobconner??

So what exactly should I say or do in this case? I'm really not sure what to say about me not showing up for the court date 3 years ago.. I mean I had no transportation and on top of that I didn't have the money to pay the fine.. I mean also ya like you said the officer that ticketed me didn't even help give me a jump...Doesn't it say "To protect and serve" on the side of the officers car?. Also I was never arrested for this.. Just ticketed for park curfew and that was it, not other charges.

HighwayMan

Who's bobconner??
I wouldn't worry about him.You have to be a regular here to get it.

You not showing up three years ago should not be relevant to the adjudication of the case. Your lack of transportation and/or money wouldn't mean much anyway and is certainly not an excuse. But your failure to appear should be a non-issue at this point.

The officer isn't under any obligation to provide you with roadside service. In fact, some departments prohibit use of department vehicles to jump-start other vehicles for liability reasons. If that's a concern I suggest joining AAA - it's a worthwhile thing to have.

You were never arrested... so? What's your point? You still have to go to court to get this resolved. You were charged and have to answer that charge.

Ganjii

I understand that and yea I do not have any excuse for missing court back and that's basically what I plan on telling the judge. I mean I don't think I can fight this as it's already been long enough.. Just plead guilty to the park curfew and take the ticket which I am hoping. It was 3 years ago I was younger and dumber, but I've wised up since then. I should have taken care of it a lot sooner but I was just scared on going in. Seriously though, is this thing even worth fighting?, or just plead guilty and pay the fine they give me?

HighwayMan

It's always worth fighting. Maybe you'll be offered a reduced charge in exchange for a guilty plea.

You shouldn't have to tell the judge anything about the fail to appear - it shouldn't be relevant.

Ganjii

I honestly don't see how I could fight it though? If I was in the park after hours? That all I did wrong though, no other charge on top of that. Just being their after hours.. go figure..

HighwayMan

If you want try to speak to someone in the court ahead of time and find out what a likely penalty is.

The idea behind a not guilty plea (at least in this case) is not necessarily to press the issue to force a trial, it's simply to plea bargain. That's usually how it works.

Ganjii

If you want try to speak to someone in the court ahead of time and find out what a likely penalty is.

The idea behind a not guilty plea (at least in this case) is not necessarily to press the issue to force a trial, it's simply to plea bargain. That's usually how it works.
So lets say I just say if when I went in for the court date that I just plead guilty first time? What would happen then? I honestly can't afford to have to go back to court a second time... I barely have transportation as it is now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">