• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court ordered ex to pay 1/2 medical expenses-youngest now 18-recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

options1

What is the name of your state? MA

The court order was from NH. He was in contempt a few years ago for not paying court ordered support and expenses. That court order stated he must pay 1/2 cost of all the medical expenses for our two daughters, who are now 18 and 21. I gave him bills of medical bills and receipts, but he hasn't paid a penny. I offered him a settlement when my youngest turned 18 of paying half of what he owes, but he did not respond. Should I contact the child support office, get an attorney, or give up? We are talking about his share being in the thousands of dollars, and I could really use the money. He just sold his house, so he has money. Self-employed-always hid his finances from the courts. Is it too late to collect since our youngest is 18? And I remember hearing you must provide receipts. Well, some are not paid yet. And at the time he took the large pile of bills and some receipts, he said he would take care of them. I never keep track of bills. Can I contact her doctors, health insurance, pharmacies, etc. for total amounts?

Thank you so much.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
ou can take him back to court for contempt if you can show that you paid your portion, you gave him bills in a TIMELY manner and he has wilfully and knowingly NOT paid his portion.

options1

Was it really necessary for you to respond? It was just mean and judgmental. Thanks.

Unless he's moved into a box or under a bridge, you're assuming.

That wasn't very smart. So you have no proof is essentially what you're saying.
Not knowing any of the circumstances, you are awfully judgmental and cynical. People get screwed over, and nice people, who come into places like this to help others actually respond with advice and suggestions. Telling someone you don't know that they are stupid and making assumptions is just plain ignorant and arrogant.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not knowing any of the circumstances, you are awfully judgmental and cynical. People get screwed over, and nice people, who come into places like this to help others actually respond with advice and suggestions. Telling someone you don't know that they are stupid and making assumptions is just plain ignorant and arrogant.
the problem is OhReally is correct. You do not know that your ex has money. What you know is his house was sold. You dont know if he made or lost money on the sale nor how much he needs for other debt or anything else.

Also if you don't have the bills you are going to have a hard time proving how much you have paid and how much he owes you per the court order. You will also have a problem proving that you PROVIDED HIM with copies of the bills.

OhReally?

Telling someone you don't know that they are stupid
I didn't say you were stupid. I suggest you either: learn how to read or pull your head out of your clueless backside (they wipe your eyes so you can see clearly) BEFORE you read. :rolleyes:

You are the one assuming because you said he sold his house and therefore has money. Obviously you're not bright at all because unless he's homeless, that money is going towards ANOTHER place of residence. Now, have a seat and be quiet.

penelope10

Read your decree. Many times the decree specifies the time frame that one is alloted to present medical bills to the other party. If you waited this long to present the bills the court is going to be curious to know why you waited until the kids reached adulthood to try to collect your ex's portion. (If no time frame is specified).

And if you have no bills or record keeping than you are completely out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">