• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Ordered Monetary Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

I have no regrets with keeping the house. I do have regrets hiring a Family Law attorney who turned my case over to her Criminal Law husband and paying $17,000 in fees. I did not agree to pay the $5,000-that was the Judge's order at the end of the trial. We argued the case the best we could and felt that since he had no evidence of using his money as the down payment, I was the one that got screwed. You can argue as much as you want in front of the Judge, but she has the final say which blew us away. We cited case law and filed a motion for a re-hearing but the Judge denied it. Again, I feel my attorney did not fight for me. I love my house, have not and will not miss a payment. Just with the legal fees, I do not have $5,000 laying around. None of you could possibly be familiar with the Florida real estate market to keep telling me to sell. You cannot sell anything right now and won't be able to for a couple of years. I am 58 not 28 and have no desire to try and "save" for another home. What I have is irreplaceable. I feel like each of you, like the Judge, are slamming me and if I told you the stories of the things he did to me, maybe you would quit making me feel like the bad guy. Good luck to each of you but please learn to try and not be so one-sided and to have compassion.
It doesn't matter one bit that you didn't agree. The Judge ordered. The End.

And hey, if we told you stories, your hair would permanently curl. We oughta sell tickets. :rolleyes:

mistoffolees

I feel like each of you, like the Judge, are slamming me and if I told you the stories of the things he did to me, maybe you would quit making me feel like the bad guy. Good luck to each of you but please learn to try and not be so one-sided and to have compassion.
No one has done anything even suggesting that you're 'the bad guy'. Nor has the advice been one-sided.

You have a court order. You didn't object to the court order at the time and didn't appeal it. Therefore, the court order is valid. No one here is going to tell you how to get out of a valid court order - even if there WERE a way to do it.

Besides, if the value of the home had doubled, would you be rushing to give him half of the gain? I didn't think so.

Life sometimes brings you bad breaks (actually, since we don't have both sides of the story, we don't know if you got a bad deal or not). In any event, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move along. $5,000 is not a terribly expensive price to learn that lesson.

Last edited:

wileybunch

The real estate market is bad all over ... doesn't mean people aren't selling houses. I guess you're trying to tell us your loan is upside down? Sorry, I missed that fact or you didn't share it. Either way, what about the advice you were given to resolve your situation -- ie. borrow money, rent room(s)? Yes, your ex CAN force the sale of the home whether you like it or not so what are you going to do about it? That's what you've gotten advice for. Nothing you or we say can change the order the judge already made.

lkclark1450

mistoffolees - My attorney did object to the Court Order by filing a motion for re-hearing and citing all kinds of case law. The Judge denied it. Besides, he wants $10,000 to appeal it and that is why I was asking if there was something that I could do on my own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">