• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CP left state, I am out of state for work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GoBlue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Two months ago I took a temp job in Las Vegas, my residence is Michigan. I am living in an apartment in LV, while still renting my main residence in MI. I came back to Michigan two times since move to LV and visited with my daughter and family.

CP and I were never married. I pay child support through the FOC. My friend says his divorce agreement spells out who can move where, but I have no divorce agreement.

Recently, CP took my daughter and they moved to Florida. She says that since I moved to LV, she can move wherever she wants. i flew to Florida and visited with my daughter last week.

My job situation is supposed to be temporary and my plan was to come back to Michigan and visit with daughter.

So now what? Can CP just up and move because I took a temporary job in another state? Although I keep writing temporary, I don't know how long the job will last, that is why I maintain my residence in Michigan.

Thanks

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Two months ago I took a temp job in Las Vegas, my residence is Michigan. I am living in an apartment in LV, while still renting my main residence in MI. I came back to Michigan two times since move to LV and visited with my daughter and family.

CP and I were never married. I pay child support through the FOC. My friend says his divorce agreement spells out who can move where, but I have no divorce agreement.

Recently, CP took my daughter and they moved to Florida. She says that since I moved to LV, she can move wherever she wants. i flew to Florida and visited with my daughter last week.

My job situation is supposed to be temporary and my plan was to come back to Michigan and visit with daughter.

So now what? Can CP just up and move because I took a temporary job in another state? Although I keep writing temporary, I don't know how long the job will last, that is why I maintain my residence in Michigan.

Thanks
Do you have custody/visitation orders? What do they address?

How recently was the move? Did you petition the court to object?

CJane

Regardless of your residence in MI, you now reside in NV, and will for an unknown amount of time.

If there are custody orders in place (and it doesn't sound to me like there are) then Mom is obligated to provide you proper notice so that you can object to a relocation. However, you're currently living so far away that an objection is unlikely to be granted.

It would be different if you were working a contract with a known end date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">