• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CPS involved with neighbor- child is at my house.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txmomof2

What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok- my daughter (who is 15) is very good friends with "Mary" who is also 15. Mary, her mother, and her twin brothers (who are 13) lived on the street behind us, so either my daughter was there, or Mary was at my house.

I'm not socially friendly with Mary's mother- we only 'know' each other minimally through the children.

Well, Thursday my daughter calls me at work and said that Mary's family has to move, as they were being evicted.

So my daughter asks if Mary can stay with us until her mother finds a place.

CPS is currently involved with Mary's mother also.

So, Mary comes. And when I got home Thursday, ALL her stuff was at my house. ALL OF IT. They (the girls) had done probably 4 loads of laundry - washing all of Mary's clothes to get the smell of smoke and dog out.

I feel sorry for Mary- I do. Her mother was doing well- went to nursing school- graduated- and now, for some reason, can't find/keep a job- she is one of those women who 'needs a man' all the time apparently, so that is her priority.

I contacted the CPS worker on Friday to ensure they knew that Mary was at my home- and to find out what to do in the event of an emergency (Mary's mother packed up and left Friday- we do not know where she is or how to get ahold of her)......I told the CPS worker some things that Mary told me about her mother's 'boy-friend' and was ignored- told to call the hotline with that information.

Now, I do not have a problem with Mary staying- for a while. But, I cannot take in another household member at this time- I'm doing good to take care of the two kids I have.

I guess I need to know what my options are here- the CPS worker was not very helpful- like, what if something WERE to happen to her? what, if anything, can I do if her mother shows up wanting the girl to go with her- and Mary doesn't want to (Mary has told my daughter she'd prefer to never leave my house).....

I've never dealt with a situation like this before. One of Mary's brothers is staying down the street from us with another neighbor.

It's a mess.

S

seniorjudge

You brought a homeless waif into your house and now you want to know how to get rid of her?

Is that correct?

ndnicks

it sounds like she said she allowed a girl to stay with her, but wants to know if the girl is required to leave with her mother and seemingly abusive boyfriend if they come for her. If the girl is injured or harmed, what would she do in that instance.

S

seniorjudge

stealth2 said:
If Mom shows up - OP has no say in whether the kid goes or not. The kid goes.
Okay, if that is what the deal is, then OP needs to run (not walk) to the nearest guardianship/conservatorship attorney so she can legalize her status as de facto guardian in court.

txmomof2

Thanks for the help!

Well, I got home yesterday, and said child decided (on her own) that she'd rather go a house away from me and stay with her mother's ex boyfriend (not the one that 'likes her') and his current girlfriend.

So, out of my hands....I've already contacted the CPS worker that is working that particular case, and told them I'm no longer in the picture, and won't be- I've done my good deed in this case.

thanks for the replies all the same!

S

seniorjudge

"Well, I got home yesterday, and said child decided (on her own) that she'd rather go a house away from me and stay with her mother's ex boyfriend (not the one that 'likes her') and his current girlfriend."

How very sad....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">