• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

craigslist rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skylarbrooke

i rented a room in a house in charlton ma and the landlord is not in the house. but the kid who posted the ad for the landlord is also renting a room in the house. well 8/23/11 i moved in spoke to the kid about what room i wanted but the room i picked didnt have a closet so he showed me another room and said use the closet in this room. so i have been doing this since 8/23/11 but the problem is the kid who is also renting has a dwi and is drunk everyday and forgets what he tells me and has been getting upset with me when he is drunk. for two days straight this kid has asked me if he could use my computer. i said something is wrong with it and he keeps asking. i tell him or ask him something and oneday he says one thing and then the next day he says something else. well yesterday i again said no to using the computer and a few hours later he tells me i cant use the closet space. i told him that was the agreement upon move in and now since he has run out of beer money he says that he wants his friend to use the space instead. i gave this kid 425 and i cant even use the closets. he told me to move my stuff to a storage unit. well i asked him for the owners number and he is refusing. should i call the police or take him to court? i need help

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does your written agreement allow use of the closet?

I would suggest that you find someplace else to live.

Mass_Shyster

should i call the police or take him to court? i need help
The police won't do anything for you. There's no crime here.

If you go to town assessor's office, you should be able to get the mailing address for the owner. It looks like the online version of the tax records isn't showing owner information.

You can also try masslandrecords.com to see who owns it, but the address may not be correct if the owner purchased it as a primary residence and later moved.

I agree with Zigner, you should move.

Banned_Princess

Why would you want to keep your stuff in a drunk kids closit? that would have been a definate no.

And when you rent a room, I sugest you keep only to the room, and keep the door closed and locked. dont hang out where it would appear like you want to be friends.

pay the rent and stay in the room, and keep all your stuff with you.

or you can move out. I doubt you will be taken to court by the kid.

did you EVER speak to the LL?

applecruncher

So you looked on craigslist, gave money to some kid who is not the owner/landlord, to your knowledge has no authority, is whacky, and now things aren't working out. And you're surprised? The kid, your money, and your computer could disappear tomorrow. I'm also betting you have no written/signed lease and no receipt.

You should pack. move, and use better judgment next time.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">