• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card bill in Collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boswd

What is the name of your state? MA

I have an old credit card bill of about $2,000. It has about 4 years before the statute of limitations runs out, but I'm not even looking at that option. I plan to start paying it once I have the money together to give them at least $500 down payment. I haven't heard from them in a while, what are the chances they may sue me or bring me to court?

boswd

Well I've taken that worry off the table and set up a payment plan with the collection agency last night.

boswd

good start to the solution.
Yeah it's the best way overall to work with your Collection Agency. and work something out. You'll find most of the time they aren't the monsters alot of people make them out to be. Though the can be, I was able to work out not only an afforable payment plan but to have the standard 20% down payment to be spread out over a one month period.
That's the best advice I can give to anyone. If you know you have have the means to get the debt out of the way. Do it. Don't avoid the CA, they'll find you. You want' to start to get your Credit rating out of the toilet and you have to start somewhere. Before anyone makes out a payment plan with a CA do your budget first, you need to find out exactly how much you can afford to pay monthly without having to eat Ramon noodles for months to come. Be up front and honest with them and call them. Don't wait until they call you , call them, it lets them know that you aren't trying to avoid and really do want to square up and are more likely to work with you. And don't set up a payment plan until you have something in your pocket to give them that day, at the very least a $100 depending on the size of your debt so if you have to even work out a payment for the 20% you will have something to show up front that you are willing to get the ball rolling

Playing the SOL card is very very risky especially if your debt is $1500 or more. I wouldn't recommend it, unless of course you have like two months to go. But if you choose that option remember you're playing with fire and if you keep ignoring notices in the mail you could wake up one day find you can't withdraw any money. if you know you have means, set something up, if you don't seek legal cousnling asap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">