• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cross motion for contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NotSoNew

it would be when one person filed a motion

and the other person files a cross motion claiming the first person is in contempt.

LdiJ

okiesooner said:
What is the name of your state? ok

Does anyone know what a motion for cross motions for contempt would be?
Example: You file contempt against your ex for something. Then, your ex turns around and also files for contempt against you in response, for something else.

okiesooner

everytime I turn around my ex is filing some new contempt charge....either I am not found in contempt or it gets continued. Is there any such thing as using the legal sysytem as a means of harassment? I have an email from my ex that states they will make their legal war against me hell and expensive. This will be the 4th time they have taken me to court in a 15 month timespan.

okiesooner said:
everytime I turn around my ex is filing some new contempt charge....either I am not found in contempt or it gets continued. Is there any such thing as using the legal sysytem as a means of harassment? I have an email from my ex that states they will make their legal war against me hell and expensive. This will be the 4th time they have taken me to court in a 15 month timespan.
I think you can file a motion to have him declared a vexatious litigant. You should probably talk to an attorney about it or visit your closest legal library and do some research. If he's only filed one or two motions against you, and the rest of the court hearings are just continuances, you may not have enough harassment evidence, but if he has indeed filed four separate motions against you in 15 months, this is probably getting into the arena of harassment and you need to take the laboring oar and have the court stop him from doing this. However, the court will not do this if you do not ask. The email you mentioned will make a nice exhibit to your request.

Best wishes.

GrowUp!

okiesooner said:
Then each time your ex files this crap and it is dismissed/you are found not guilty, also ask for damages, including but not limited to lost wages and attorney fees and request that the other party be responsible for any and all court costs and filing fees. That email could be used as evidence against your ex, which the court would most likely not like.

If this becomes a habit, you can also file a civil tort suit against your ex for emotional distress, lost wages, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">