• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CS & Uncovered Medical

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osmosis

What is the name of your state? FL

According to our court order, I am responsible for half of the children's medical expenses not covered by the CP's "excellent health benefits" through her Government job. It does not specify where to send such payments to.

She sent me a letter demanding that I send her money directly for a dentist visit. ($132)

I am to send child support to the State Disbursement Unit. Should I send the money to reimburse her for these uncovered dental expenses to the SDU as well?

Also, how do I find out if these expenses are actually covered by her health plan?

GrowUp!

What is the name of your state? FL

According to our court order, I am responsible for half of the children's medical expenses not covered by the CP's "excellent health benefits" through her Government job. It does not specify where to send such payments to.

She sent me a letter demanding that I send her money directly for a dentist visit. ($132)

I am to send child support to the State Disbursement Unit. Should I send the money to reimburse her for these uncovered dental expenses to the SDU as well?

Also, how do I find out if these expenses are actually covered by her health plan?
Before you send anything, ask her for copy of the actual bill, indicating CLEARLY how much insurance paid, how much she paid (per the court order) and the percentage/amount you owe, per the court order. You have that right. If she refuses to send you a copy of the actual bill, then refuse to send her money until she does so.

DO NOT SEND ANYTHING based on a "letter".

osmosis

Before you send anything, ask her for copy of the actual bill, indicating CLEARLY how much insurance paid, how much she paid (per the court order) and the percentage/amount you owe, per the court order. You have that right. If she refuses to send you a copy of the actual bill, then refuse to send her money until she does so.

DO NOT SEND ANYTHING based on a "letter".
Thanks for replying. I know better than to send her anything without proof. She has already proven herself to be a gold digger, and I will not oblige this. She did send photocopies of the bills, but she folded all 3 bills and photocopied them onto one piece of paper so that all I have is a copy of the children's names and the "Service Detail" with an amount next to it. I truly don't even know if I am responsible for this, especially since she has been boasting about what excellent health coverage she has through her job as a prison guard. I do not know if her insurance covered these fees or not.

I'll see what I can do about getting the full bills.

Still the question remains - send it with my child support payment? The clerk's office in my area does not take these kinds of payments, and I am leery about sending money directly to her - even with a receipt of some kind.

Last edited:

osmosis

In addition, I just read the FAQ for the dentist that the bill is from and read the following information:

While we do not accept insurance as a form of payment, we will be glad to assist you in filing your claim for reimbursement.
How do I find out if I'm even responsible for this? I'm not trying to duck out on my responsibility, I just want to make certain that it IS my responsibility.

GrowUp!

I'll see what I can do about getting the full bills.

Still the question remains - send it with my child support payment? The clerk's office in my area does not take these kinds of payments, and I am leery about sending money directly to her - even with a receipt of some kind.
No, do not send it with your child support payment. Ask her to send you full, individual COPIES of each bill and that each bill shall clearly indicate the following information:
- how much insurance paid (not IS going to pay, but has already paid)
- how much SHE is responsible for, per the support order
- how much YOU are responsible for, per the support order.

Then state that if she sends you anymore "bills" like the ones you've received, I will not pay them. Also, if it's a problem for her to do this, then I guess she won't get reimbursed and she can take it to court, where the court should side with you because you are not asking for anything out of the ordinary. You can even tell her that, too.

How do I find out if I'm even responsible for this? I'm not trying to duck out on my responsibility, I just want to make certain that it IS my responsibility.
That is not your problem. That is up to her or the doctor's office to take care of. The doctor's office should be submitting the bill to the insurance company.

LdiJ

That is not your problem. That is up to her or the doctor's office to take care of. The doctor's office should be submitting the bill to the insurance company.
Actually a doctor's office is not required to submit bills to insurance companies unless they are part of the insurance company's network. Many or most will, but there are many medical providers out there, particularly dentists, who don't accept insurance as a form of payment, and will let the patients handle their own insurance reimbursement.

The problem here is that mom could be getting reimbursed by her insurance, but there may not be any way to easily prove that.

osmosis

That was my concern. Granted, it's only $132 bucks, but that may be money that I can spend on the children as opposed to lining her pockets fraudulently.

osmosis

To clarify, I was referring to the charge she claims I owe, not submitting the information to the insurance company.

Actually a doctor's office is not required to submit bills to insurance companies unless they are part of the insurance company's network. Many or most will, but there are many medical providers out there, particularly dentists, who don't accept insurance as a form of payment, and will let the patients handle their own insurance reimbursement.

The problem here is that mom could be getting reimbursed by her insurance, but there may not be any way to easily prove that.
I have had this same problem. My ex had to submit some bills directly to the insurance, and then they would pay her directly (for the one's out of network only). I would then get the full bill to pay & she was getting cash in her pocket. I found this out when I contacted a provider to see why a $5000 bill was not submitted to insurance.

I was told by the insurance company that I could request all bills submitted to and paid by insurance for my 2 children if I requested it in writing and included a copy of my divorce decree which stated that I am to pay 100% of medical.

You could try calling the insurance company & see if you can do the same. I mailed this out 2 weeks ago, but I haven't received anything yet. I'm hoping I was told correctly by the rep.

osmosis

I have had this same problem. My ex had to submit some bills directly to the insurance, and then they would pay her directly (for the one's out of network only). I would then get the full bill to pay & she was getting cash in her pocket. I found this out when I contacted a provider to see why a $5000 bill was not submitted to insurance.

I was told by the insurance company that I could request all bills submitted to and paid by insurance for my 2 children if I requested it in writing and included a copy of my divorce decree which stated that I am to pay 100% of medical.

You could try calling the insurance company & see if you can do the same. I mailed this out 2 weeks ago, but I haven't received anything yet. I'm hoping I was told correctly by the rep.
I suppose it couldn't hurt. The worse they can do is tell me "No".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">