• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody and visits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbcdm72

What is the name of your state? california

Wanting to know if there is anything I can do for stopping visits? I have custody of my son who is 3 yrs. We went to mediation and court and came up with a plan until June. For the past 8 weeks the other party has missed his visits with no phone calls, and we have had no contact with him for almost 2 months. He is the one who started the whole court proceddings. Thanks, Any advice needed

BelizeBreeze

kbcdm72 said:
What is the name of your state? california

Wanting to know if there is anything I can do for stopping visits? I have custody of my son who is 3 yrs. We went to mediation and court and came up with a plan until June. For the past 8 weeks the other party has missed his visits with no phone calls, and we have had no contact with him for almost 2 months. He is the one who started the whole court proceddings. Thanks, Any advice needed
no you may not. Visitation is a right, not a priviledge. If he doesn't want to exercise that right that is his decision.

kbcdm72

Ok, well here is another question. The visits have been at my house so I have been waiting around for the past 8 weeks for him to show up with 8 no shows and no phone calls. How long do me and family have to wait around for his visits and hes not showing up.

LdiJ

kbcdm72 said:
Ok, well here is another question. The visits have been at my house so I have been waiting around for the past 8 weeks for him to show up with 8 no shows and no phone calls. How long do me and family have to wait around for his visits and hes not showing up.
Wait 30 minutes....and then go on with your plans. Make sure that you document each and every missed visit.

Also....did the orders state anything about what is supposed to happen after June? Some ncps resent visiting in the other parents home and choose not to exercise the visitation, expecting to simply pick up the next "phase" of visitation without going through the first phase. If your orders specify that he is to have unsupervised visitation after June...then you may need to be prepared to take things back to court.

kbcdm72

no shows

After June he was supposed to go back to court and prove his case and that he is responsible enough to have unsupervised visits with him. I have been waiting 30 minutes and then documenting to take to court in June and show the judge what he had done the last 2 months. Thanks

BelizeBreeze

kbcdm72 said:
After June he was supposed to go back to court and prove his case and that he is responsible enough to have unsupervised visits with him. I have been waiting 30 minutes and then documenting to take to court in June and show the judge what he had done the last 2 months. Thanks
How long were his visits supposed to be.

kbcdm72

no shows

The visits were every Sunday from 2-6, and Mondays 5-7 which he cancelled the Mondays the next day after mediation said it was to hard. We started visits in Feb 06 and was supposed to follow this schedule until we go to court in June and then he had to prove to the judge that he was okay to have him for extended unsupervised visits. Those were the judges exact words. " You can come back and tell me how the visits were going and prove yourself".

Any Advice?????

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You have the documentation, and you can present it in court in June. Until then, you need to continue making the child available. In court, the judge will decide the next step.

If you have an attorney, you should speak with him/her regarding what you should be asking for in terms of continuing visitation. If you don't, you need to think about what you'd like to see happen next. However, be aware that the judge is unlikely to completely cut off any possibility of visitation. More likely s/he will require some amount of notice that he is planning to exercise it (and the short/supervised visits will likely continue) or you're off the hook in keeping the kid available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">