• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Georgia Pregnant Teen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brotymo

Custody Issue Unborn Baby

What is the name of your state? Ga
Can anyone tell me what the GA code says about uwed pregnant teen and custody?
I am trying to find something out for my children's babysitter. She is pregnant but no longer involved with boyfriend. Baby's father, is telling her that he will take baby and leave and other stuff like this. Scaring her. Anyway, I told her that he has no rights to the baby until paternity is established which will be after baby is born. I wanted to find where it is addressed in GA code, but can't find it.
I told her parents (who are very supportive of her) to get with an attorney and make sure they are doing the right things now. Baby is due in 7 months. I told them that first paternity will be established, and then child support will be determined, but was unsure what to tell her to expect or plan for with upcoming visitation and custody.
Does anyone have some good advise? This kid is wanting to do the right things, but is in a tight spot...and scared by every threat ex-boyfriend makes which at this point appears to be more an attempt to control the mother).

Last edited:

brotymo

also, how much legal legwork do you think that the expectant mother should be doing now in preparation for the future issues she is likely to face w/custody visitation issues.

brotymo

Does anyone have any input on the question about preparation. Like, can the mother get anywhere requesting that the baby's last name be a hyphenated combo of hers and the father's last name after paternity is established, or is she stuck with only the father's last name?

Silverplum

brotymo said:
also, how much legal legwork do you think that the expectant mother should be doing now in preparation for the future issues she is likely to face w/custody visitation issues.
I would think she should do as much "legal legwork" as anyone in her position ought: she's pregnant and not married. She has legal questions about custody and the like. She should be doing a lot of thinking and planning; she should be calling attorneys for free consults; she should be finding an attorney to hire; she should be reading up on family law in her state.

edited to add: NY or CO law or any other state has nothing to do with GA. Your sitter needs to learn GA law. Tell her Google is her friend.

Last edited:
brotymo said:
Does anyone have any input on the question about preparation. Like, can the mother get anywhere requesting that the baby's last name be a hyphenated combo of hers and the father's last name after paternity is established, or is she stuck with only the father's last name?
My daughter has my last name. When she was born it was only me at the hospital so I had full rights to pick her name. We later on established paternity by him saying he was dad in court. Then later on he wanted dna I knew he was dad and gave in for the testing. So it came back 99.99% and they never mentioned changing her name and she still has my last name. I dont think the young girl will have a problem with the name. Good luck to her in this situation. Id say get a restraining order against him or keep calling police if he calls that way there will be documented proof. Also you could tape record the phone calls as well esp the threats.

brotymo

thanks for the info. I know the mother has no idea where to turn for advice, and at 18, she doesn't even realize how much what she does or doesn't do now could impact her later. Her mother told me that she has been trying to get info, but hadn't had much luck online. I know from my recent situation how hard it is to know or find out what to do, and know not only what your rights are, and what your childs rights are, but also how "the system" works. I thought since I have been helped here that you guys might be able to shed some light on things. She is a really nice girl, made a careless mistake, and now is trying to face the consequences of that, all while pretty sick w/early pregnancy sickness. She has parents who have resources to help her and are standing beside her. Thanks so much for your input, everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">