• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of my sister's daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enjay

What is the name of your state? Maryland, however my sister and her daughter are in Pennsylvania.

My sister is an out of control alcoholic who can no longer care for her 14 year old daughter. I am willing to take custody, but not if it means 2 months down the road my sister can decide that she is now cured and takes Amanda back. This child has no stability and desperately needs it.

What are the steps I need to take, considering that my sister is in a different state? Is it possible for there to be a stipulation that the child will remain with me until adulthood? I know my sister well enough to know that she will change her mind every other month about this, and that is not fair to Amanda.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

enjay said:
What are the steps I need to take, considering that my sister is in a different state?

====================================

My response:

Sorry, we don't do "steps". "Steps" connote the need for representation, and we do not, and cannot, represent you from these forums.

The only "step" (note, that word is singular) that you can take is for you and your sister (when she's sober) to consult with, hire, and pay, a local Family law attorney in her State.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">