• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of younger siblings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keyeomega

I'm 22, they are 4 and 10. And my grandma wasn't really around. My mom and dad (when they were together) lived with his parents. They have since passed away. My maternal grandma loves the girls, but she says that she can not raise two little girls, not with the way her health is. And trust me I know my opinion doesn't matter, I've tried to help my mother but my resources are limited, and I have things going on in my own life.

keyeomega

The two maternal grandma things was a typo on my part. Sorry. And I will be married in 6 months, and no, I am not deployed. I won't be anytime soon due to schooling. I would love for my mom to actually get help and stability, getting her to agree and commit to it is something she's going to have to do on her own. She just doesn't seem to care very much anymore.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The two maternal grandma things was a typo on my part. Sorry. And I will be married in 6 months, and no, I am not deployed. I won't be anytime soon due to schooling. I would love for my mom to actually get help and stability, getting her to agree and commit to it is something she's going to have to do on her own. She just doesn't seem to care very much anymore.
IF they cannot reunify the children with your mother, you can motion for custody and most likely get it if you are deemed fit and suitable. However the county must first work towards reunification and mom will get a chance to work a caseplan.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But does living in another state than them make a difference?
For placement it does due to an interstate compact being required.. For custody if YOU FILE it does not necessarily matter. HOWEVER, you have to prove quite a bit to go for custody and your opinion does NOT matter.

keyeomega

If my mother would regain stability and WANT to take care of them properly then I would be more than happy to let them be with her. It also doesn't help that I'm not around as much anymore.

Isis1

If my mother would regain stability and WANT to take care of them properly then I would be more than happy to let them be with her. It also doesn't help that I'm not around as much anymore.
you don't let her do anything. you have no authority. if mom is found unfit, and you are granted custody, later decide to give the children back to mom without the states consent, YOU can get yourself into trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">