• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad has Alzheimer's and Alcohol Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TLA

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

I have contacted so many different agencies to try to get help with my dad. He is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's and has a serious problem with Alcohol...he can drink over a case of beer every single day. This is a huge problem because he forgets that he drinks, even though he falls and has broken ribs, neck bones and lately fractured his elbow. On Sunday, I called the police and ambulance departments for help because for the hundreth time he fell and passed out and urinated himself. The crew took him to the hospital where I thought he would finally get the help he needed but two days later the hospital released him. The entire staff saw how disoriented and confused he was, but just wished me luck as I took him home.

All of the agencies and his doctor have told me that there is nothing they can do unless he volunteers to come in and get treatment...my argument is that he is mentally unable to make that decision.

I do have POA and have taken his keys away...but he lives right next door to me and violently will demand his keys back. So far I have refused...but I am seriously afraid of going home and dealing with him another day.

Does anyone know how I can get help for my dad? Is taking and holding his car keys from him illegal?

Thanks for your help,
Tammy

BlondiePB

TLA said:
Pennsylvania

I have contacted so many different agencies to try to get help with my dad. He is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's and has a serious problem with Alcohol...he can drink over a case of beer every single day. This is a huge problem because he forgets that he drinks, even though he falls and has broken ribs, neck bones and lately fractured his elbow. On Sunday, I called the police and ambulance departments for help because for the hundreth time he fell and passed out and urinated himself. The crew took him to the hospital where I thought he would finally get the help he needed but two days later the hospital released him. The entire staff saw how disoriented and confused he was, but just wished me luck as I took him home.

All of the agencies and his doctor have told me that there is nothing they can do unless he volunteers to come in and get treatment...my argument is that he is mentally unable to make that decision.

I do have POA and have taken his keys away...but he lives right next door to me and violently will demand his keys back. So far I have refused...but I am seriously afraid of going home and dealing with him another day.

Does anyone know how I can get help for my dad? Is taking and holding his car keys from him illegal?

Thanks for your help,
Tammy
Have you called Adult Protective Services?

seniorjudge

TLA said:
Pennsylvania

Thanks for your help,
Tammy

Q: Is taking and holding his car keys from him illegal?

A: No. In fact you could be in very serious trouble if you give him those keys.

TLA

Thank you for the affirmation...

but what protects me if and when he calls the police. I do have a great relationship with the police (small town neighborly type of department) but what legally protects me from removing his personal property like this?

Thanks again for your advice,

Tammy

TLA

BlondiePB - thanks for the Adult Protective Services referral...I will follow that lead!

A couple of suggestions that you may find helpful.

1) Disable the car. Pull the plug wires or something that makes it not start.
2) Switch to near beer. This worked great for my mom. They also make near wine!

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">