• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating a minor...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yes, and while you are at it, tell 20 year olds to stop being losers, and date someone their own age.

I don't mean to sound too judgemental, but hell, when I was 17, I wouldn't date a 15 year old, how can someone 20 do that... do they not know anyone their own age? Too immature? These situations never end happily ever after(well, maybe 1%), and are the cause of much graying of hair for the fathers of these girls...

JMan37

this is getting rediculous

There is a ot that goes into this problem so bear with me. I'll do my best to cover everything as best I can.

First off, I'm from Pennsylvania and I am 19 dating a 17 year old girl who is a senior in highschool. She will turn 18 in January.

It's hard as it is because we live an hour and a half away from each other since I am in college. After she graduates, she will be at my college as well. Also, her mother, sister, and family friend are all trying to ruin us, but we refuse to let that happen. Her father is dead so he obviously has no say. Her mother is very abusive verbally towards my girlfriend and shows strong signs of bi polar disorder. She actuallfriend in therapy and on medicine for that, but she shows no signs of it. Her mother has also been verbally abusive towards me and for no reason. She says that it's because I helped my girlfriend lie about how we met even though I had nothing to do with it. Even if I did, it is very insignificant and should have been dropped along time ago. I have never been disrespectful to any of them a treat my girlfriend with all the respect in the world. She also thinks her daughter is a whore, even calling her that a few times, though she is a virgin and she and I have talked about it and we won't be having sex until AT LEAST she turns 18. We haven't even done anything past kissing. Her mother has tried everything she could to shut her off from me, even by making her stay in the house and threatening to not allow her to be friends with anyone that helps us be together. All we can do now is text and talk on the phone. Her mother even threatned to call the police on me if I were to go near her again. Just today, her mother stole MY camera that I left at her house, from my GIRLFRIEND'S room and hid it or threw it away after viewing my pictures. She now is freaking out because there are some dirty pictures from me and my friends being stupid and taking random pictures. I even told her mother and my girlfriend to not look at the pictures because there was bad stuff on there. Now she has my camera and won't give MY property and privacy back to me and made my girlfriend tell her that she just broke up with me (we aren't. She just said we are) Now it's even harder to talk on the phone or anything. We still have 6 months to my girlfriend's birthday and I seriously believe as a Psychology major and from research that her mother is not mentally stable.
With all that said, is there anything me or my girlfriend or the law can do to help the two of us? And what kind of situation are we in when it comes to the law?
Advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks

Just Blue

There is a ot that goes into this problem so bear with me. I'll do my best to cover everything as best I can.

First off, I'm from Pennsylvania and I am 19 dating a 17 year old girl who is a senior in highschool. She will turn 18 in January.

It's hard as it is because we live an hour and a half away from each other since I am in college. After she graduates, she will be at my college as well. Also, her mother, sister, and family friend are all trying to ruin us, but we refuse to let that happen. Her father is dead so he obviously has no say. Her mother is very abusive verbally towards my girlfriend and shows strong signs of bi polar disorder. She actuallfriend in therapy and on medicine for that, but she shows no signs of it. Her mother has also been verbally abusive towards me and for no reason. She says that it's because I helped my girlfriend lie about how we met even though I had nothing to do with it. Even if I did, it is very insignificant and should have been dropped along time ago. I have never been disrespectful to any of them a treat my girlfriend with all the respect in the world. She also thinks her daughter is a whore, even calling her that a few times, though she is a virgin and she and I have talked about it and we won't be having sex until AT LEAST she turns 18. We haven't even done anything past kissing. Her mother has tried everything she could to shut her off from me, even by making her stay in the house and threatening to not allow her to be friends with anyone that helps us be together. All we can do now is text and talk on the phone. Her mother even threatned to call the police on me if I were to go near her again. Just today, her mother stole MY camera that I left at her house, from my GIRLFRIEND'S room and hid it or threw it away after viewing my pictures. She now is freaking out because there are some dirty pictures from me and my friends being stupid and taking random pictures. I even told her mother and my girlfriend to not look at the pictures because there was bad stuff on there. Now she has my camera and won't give MY property and privacy back to me and made my girlfriend tell her that she just broke up with me (we aren't. She just said we are) Now it's even harder to talk on the phone or anything. We still have 6 months to my girlfriend's birthday and I seriously believe as a Psychology major and from research that her mother is not mentally stable.
With all that said, is there anything me or my girlfriend or the law can do to help the two of us? And what kind of situation are we in when it comes to the law?
Advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks
Start your own thread!

rabblewabble

To DrewfromCA - a 17 y/o girl is typically considerably more emotionally mature than 17 y/o boy. That's a fact. I can, however, see why you may not date a 15 y/o when you were 17, because you were 17 and your friends would tease you. I'd also like to point out that:

1. There's a significant difference between a 15 y/o and 17 y/o. A 17 y/o may be just days away from leaving the house and going to college, yet a 15 y/o has just started high school.

2. Some people mature much faster or slower than others. Perhaps the 20 y/o guy dating a 17 y/o really is extremely immature. Oh well. It's really no reason to insult him. I'm sure that, just as there's many people your age who are very immature compared to you, there's plenty of people your age who would make you look immature. It's all subjective in the end anyways.

3. I'm 17 and my boyfriend will turn 20 in August. We've been dating for two years. Whether or not I end up with him forever and ever is not the measure of whether it "works out" or not. If it doesn't, oh well, I learned so much, about love, life and myself as an individual. I treat our relationship as if it's permanent, but if it ends, I'll take more from the experience than it could ever take from me. I realize I'm lucky and that most young relationships are never as long-lasting or positive as mine is, but who are you to judge someone else that you only know by reading a few posts on the internet?

(Sorry that I went on a bit of a tangent, I found that post pretty offensive and condescending)

Anyways, to the original poster, I have a good solution for you. Two words: chastity belt. Give the key to the parents, and they'll worry a lot less.

Actually, don't suggest that. You'll just freak everyone out. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">