• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tayrik

I live in texas, i'm female and 17 years old my boyfriend is 16. We got caught messing around on school property. I don't get in trouble often, almost at all, so i'm actually not entirely sure what to expect. When the security came i was not wearing a shirt and neither was he but that was all he saw. Please help me understand what i could be facing. Would I fall under the romeo and juliet exception? We started dating when he was 15 and i was 16. We're almost two years now

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I have a feeling you mean more than "dating".

Your "boyfriend" might have more to fear than you do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh, I disagree. I think you're the one who's been violating statutes. I don't see much that your bf has to be worried about - you're older and you're the one who was partially naked in a public place.

quincy

I live in texas, i'm female and 17 years old my boyfriend is 16. We got caught messing around on school property. I don't get in trouble often, almost at all, so i'm actually not entirely sure what to expect. When the security came i was not wearing a shirt and neither was he but that was all he saw. Please help me understand what i could be facing. Would I fall under the romeo and juliet exception? We started dating when he was 15 and i was 16. We're almost two years now
Here is a link to the Texas Penal Code Chapter 21, Sexual Offenses (you might want to look at Section 21.11):
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/pe/htm/pe.21.htm

Here is a link to the Sex, Etc. Organization's information on Texas laws that relate to teens, published by Rutgers University and the Answer website:
http://sexetc.org/states/texas/

What your school does about you and your boyfriend "messing around" on school property depends on your school. You might want to read over your school handbook to get an idea of the disciplinary actions that you and your boyfriend might face.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
And, please, if you're "messing around" means you're having sex, please use a condom.

Last edited:

CavemanLawyer

Yes you fall within the 3 year affirmative defense often called the Romeo and Juliet exception. But the school can still punish either or both of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">