• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter Driving Without Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SallyX

What is the name of your state? Florida
My daughter is 18 years old. She is driving her car without any insurance. The title and loan are both in my name, since my daughter could not afford to buy the car, nor get the financing to buy the car. She pays me each month, and I pay the credit union.
What exposure do I have if my daughter is in an accident? Thank you.

racer72

You could be fully liable for everything if she is involved in an accident. Does the credit union not require full coverage on the vehicle as part of the loan agreement? Either insure the car yourself or take the keys away. You are sitting on a ticking time bomb.

AHA

She is an irresponsible brat, concerned about other, "more important" things in her life.
How did she get that way, though?
If she's such a brat, why are you letting her drive a car registered in YOUR name and financed by a loan in YOUR name?
Tell her that she needs to get a job so that she can afford to pay you the loan every month PLUS insurance. If that won't happen, then have her pay the insurance herself and owe you the money that YOU legally owe for the car every month, and you pay it until she pays you. Either way, you are spoiling her daily by letting her do this, not to mention setting yourself up for MASSIVE financial chaos if something happens on the road with her driving, and you KNOW something will happen! It's a when, not an if.

moburkes

She is an irresponsible brat, concerned about other, "more important" things in her life.
The irresponsible person in the above scenario is the mother. You are allowing your daughter to jeopardize YOUR FUTURE and ability to earn money to pay your bills, by allowing this to happen. Period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">